I have a that is a couple of months old and worked fine through last Thursday. When I connected it to my HP laptop this morning, I could hear it cycling and then making a “bip” sound - over and over until Windows said there was an error installing the hardware. It is a [Edited for privacy - Trancer].
- Tried different USB ports on the laptop and dock.
- Used a cable from another recently purchased WD My Passport external hard drive
- Tried removing it from Device Manager and reconnecting it
- Updated the driver with the SES one I downloaded from WD
- Tried to use the WD Dirve Utilities (SMART Status = failed, either of the drive tests stalls)
- Tried the same drive on another laptop - same symptoms
- Checked in Administrative Tools, Drive Management - hard drive is listed as Hard Drive (5) and will not initiate.
I currently see WD Drive Management devices, WD SES Device in Device Manager, but only “Disk drive” under Disk Drives. I don’t see a drive letter for it in Windows Explorer. I can eject it (where it is referenced as "My Passport 0748).
Help! I would just as soon not loose the work/information on this drive that has not yet been copied up to our servers.