My Passport cannot access files under Catalina

Hi,
I have a WD My Passport Portable Hard Drive, 4TB, on which all my photos are stored. My Lightroom catalogue knows where they are.
After I updated to Catalina I could not see the drive. Disk Utility sees it. I have also possibly added some WD security software but that did not solve the problem, I just kept getting calls for keychain login etc.

My problem is this: if I reformat the drive under Catalina, I will lose all my photos and their Lightroom links. Is there a possibility of reformatting and restoring the files and then them still being recognized by Lightroom? If not, I will reorganize them on the main HD and create a new LR catalogue.

I have two backups. One is a clone of the My Passport, which will have the same problem. The other is a Backblaze cloud backup. So I could probably get Backblaze to send those files to my HD. Is this my best procedure?
And if I reformat both WD external drives, will I be able to use them in future?

I want 1) to get my photos back and ideally 2) to get them back to where they were. I think 2) is hopeless - am I right?

By the way, at the moment I can’t even see the drive to reformat it, except in Disk Utility. I would also like to remove the WD security software as that is confusing me even more.

I am replying to myself because suddenly the drive appeared, in Lightroom too. The problem is therefore solved. I do think I should try these drives a few times before I trust this backup system for the future, under Catalina.
Thanks for reading