My Passport 500 GB

Hello All,

I have a My Passport 500 GB. I was using it till recently. I used it this morning too and suddenly it has stopped working. I cannot see the drive when it is connected to the laptop. The light is blinking but there is no vibration from the drive. I tried using different cords to check if there is a connection problem. How do i retrieve the data from the drive ?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Regards,

Kushi.

Just about an hour a go My passport 500gb also can’t be detected on my laptop. There are no lights but theres vibration so I dont know whats wrong need help also.

Hi, avoid using extension USB cables or USB hubs, also check if the passport is recognized on the disk management window. 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284

Hi , thanks for the reply. I have done that already and it is not shown there also. I am plugged in directly w/o using  a hub. Still no response just the spinning vibration w/o blinking or steady lights. I really hope you could help me. Thanks again for giving this message some time.

Kushi wrote:

Hello All,

I have a My Passport 500 GB. I was using it till recently. I used it this morning too and suddenly it has stopped working. I cannot see the drive when it is connected to the laptop. The light is blinking but there is no vibration from the drive. I tried using different cords to check if there is a connection problem. How do i retrieve the data from the drive ?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Regards,

Kushi.

First of all, try it on another computer if you have one. If problem is the same  - then put your ear to the drive when it is first connected. If your drive is not spinning and makes absolutely no sounds then most likely the problem is either with power not getting to the hard drive, or dead board on the drive. If it makes slight beeping sound then watch this  video - it explains all about it. Stuck heads is a very common issue for 2.5" DRIVES.

edsan504 wrote:

Hi , thanks for the reply. I have done that already and it is not shown there also. I am plugged in directly w/o using  a hub. Still no response just the spinning vibration w/o blinking or steady lights. I really hope you could help me. Thanks again for giving this message some time.> if your drive is not getting detected on that computer, aslo try another computer to see if disk management sees it. If it does not, problem could be related to other things. Bad sectors, bad firmware, something physical even. If you need data from that drive - look for data recovery professional, if you need your drive to work and it is still under warranty simpy RMA it.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.

What are the options to get the data? Datarecovery is extremely expensive.

Regards

Services are most of the time expensive, but if the problem is physical like here it is best not to mess around with it yourself. Further damage is most likely to happen if you have no knowledge, skill, tools, equipment for post repair process. If something is broke, it needs to be fixed/repaired first. Software does not fix physical issues.