My Passport 4tb used for PS4 does not show

I bought a My Passport 4TB external hdd about 2 years ago purely for use with my PS4. One day about a month ago it just stopped working. No knocks or bumps. It is plugged into my PS4 and sat comfortably in the TV stand. Rarely touched. It was about 3.25TB full.

I tried everything first to recover the data because it was a lot! But failing this I just wanted to recover the drive so I could use it again. After many hours of trolling the internet for possible fixes I was unable to get the drive to work. I put it down to bad sectors or something. Unfortunately the warranty had run out so I was left with a brick.

About a week after the incident I decided to purchase another. The My Passport range seemed to offer the best value for money and what are the chances of it happening again!?!

Well it’s happened again! :frowning:

It worked great for a few weeks and then just stopped working. Again no knocks or bumps. It was happily sat next to my PS4 on the TV stand. Never touched since plugging it in. I had been downloading pretty heavy to replace my old drive. Funnily enough it was around 3.25TB full.

Has anyone else had this issue. Bit of a coincidence for it to happen to 2 drives isn’t it?

Any idea on how I might fix it?

Thankfully I made sure to buy one with 3 years warranty this time. It is annoying because I had spent some considerable effort filling it back up again killing my bandwidth for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

I’ve been using a 4TB Elements Portable USB (cheaper than My Passports) as extended storage for my PS4 Pro for about a year … no problems, still works great.

It’s in a well ventilated place and not sitting on anything hot (like the top of the PS4 Pro Console) and i never use Rest Mode on my PS4 Pro, when finished i power it down.

Yeah my first one lasted more than a year. It was only when it got over 3tb full when it died. Same as my second.

I don’t normally leave it in Rest mode but I had done over the last couple of weeks because I was playing through Last of us 2 and load times a bit longer than I care for.
Also yes mine is well ventilated. Never on top of the console.