My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive not mounting anymore on MBP 15 Retina

Hello,

On 26 January 2013 I bought a brand new My Passport 2TB external hard drive.

The Hard Drive has been used for work and personal backup purposes - we are talking about important material.

I last used it a week ago and everything was fine: it has never shown the minimum sign of a problem.

Today I plug it in, light goes on, I hear a soft sound proving that it’s working. However it’s not mounting on finder and it’s not showing on Disk Utility.

I have then tried it on my other MBP 15 non retina: same situation. Both laptpops run Mountain Lion.

The hard drive:

1. Has never left the room where I keep it

2. Has never been used with different cables, only the one provided when purchased

3. Has never been dropped, never been touched by liquids: just been kept on a sound shelf.

4. Has never even been shaken or moved around the room.

5. Has always been ejected correctly.

I bought this hard drive to keep my data safe less than four months ago and now I cannot even access it. There are over 1tb of important backups.

What can I do to to make it work?

Hello,

It is possible that the partition on the drive is corrupted. If you go to disk utility and you see the drive there but not on your desktop, then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.

I don’t know much about Macs. If the drive doesn’t show in Windows Disk Management it may be the USB cable or the circuitboard inside. Try another USB cable that is no longer than the original and don’t use a hub. If you don’t have another cable WD will probably send you a new one.

Joe

What sort of answer is that? I told you I have a very serious problem, I explained in detail and you didn’t even read it?

If I say “However it’s not mounting on finder and it’s not showing on Disk Utility.” you can’t tell me “If you go to disk utility and you see the drive there but not on your desktop”

This is losing precious time, I have an immaculate disk that stopped working absolutely out of the blue. I bought it to secure my backup not to put them in danger. This is something relly serious, I need to take you seriously too.

Please give me an adequate answer ASAP

Hi dylan86, please check you private messages.