My Passport 2 TB won't show up in my Finder now... It just spins and blinks

I have been using my Passport all day and then it accidently got unplugged from my Mac. Now when I plug it back in it won’t show up in finder and it just seems to spin with the light flashing. The passport drive unlock will pop up and when I unlock nothing happens. Is all my data lost? If so this is my second Passport crash in a month. I moved all my new work photo files over to this passport and now I am afraid it’s all lost. Can someone give me an idea of how to save my data or make it show up in finder?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Since you mentioned the drive got disconnected while in use and now it is not seen on the computer then it means the partition is corrupted. I recommend that you try to use the “drive repair” option in “disk utility”.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1782

If this does not work then you can always format your drive in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

Exactly what has happened to me.

Hard drive unplugged as I was unable to eject it. Now it wont show up in Finder on my Mac Book Pro.

The light comes on, hard drive makes a whirring noise.

If it wont show up in Finder, How can I format it or run disk repair???

I did an upgrade to Mavericks at some stage as well.

Macbook Pro 15" Retina 512 Gig + WD My Passport 1Tb.

Now I maybe need to replace this unit and am looking at the 2TB Passport, but am concerned this will happen again. I read so many stories like this - they all include WD Passport, Mac, Mavericks, ejection issues etc etc.  Searched so many forums - must be a case of where there is smoke there is fire. Surely Mac and WD should address this.

Just happened to me as well, although it started as a case where the drive simply wouldn’t mount if the computer had been restarted or was just starting up.  Unplugging and replugging fixed that.  

Then, this afternoon, I suddenly got a message saying that I should eject before unplugging, and now all it will do is spin and do nothing.  Very disappointed to find out that this is common occurance with no resolution.