My Passport 1TB works on Windows 7 but not XP

Hi there,

I’ve recently bought a pair of 1TB My Passports (serial number WDBBEP0010BBK-01) and they work fine on my Windows 7 and linux machines, but on Windows XP it isn’t working - the drive never seems to mount.

In device manager there was originally an exclamation mark next to it, but by fixng that (I think by letting it update driver) there appears to be no problem. The computer can see it in device manager and a “remove hardware” icon appears in the task bar when I plug it in. When I click on details in either of these it says “device working normally”. But the drive never shows up in Explorer! 

This is a USB3 drive being used in a USB2 port. My first thought is that it’s the driver, but other than the SES driver (which is installed and doesn’t seem to help) I don’t know what to load. It’s using the default Microsoft driver now.

The drive is formatted as NTFS, although I reformatted it to FAT32 and back making up my mind what to leave it in.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Check on the disk utility to see if the unit for some reason is showing offline or to see if the unit is not getting a drive letter by any chance.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1284/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NjcwODAxOC9zaWQvSkJ5ZHpsNWw%3D