My Passport 1TB USB3.0 HDD has stopped showing up

Model number: wdbacx0010bsl-01

Ok so I am majorly panicking right now, I have extremeley important files on the HDD hence they were backed up to it! 

It hasnt fallen or been hit or anything like that.(Have had this drive for less than a year)

HDD is not showing up in My computer

When plugged in it whirrs away and the white LED flashes.

It takes a few minutes but the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon eventually shows up when I right click it shows “Eject My Passport 0740”.

When I go into disk management it comes up as Disk 1, unknown , not initialised. then gives me an option to either use MBR or GUID partition styles. 

EDIT: Took the plunge and selected MBR and now I get an error which says it could not be initialized because of an I/O error.,      So now what?

Will choosing one of these mean I lose my data? Is my disk gone? Will I know have to get a disk recovery software?

Please help!!

And thankyou in advance 

Amishra123

amishra123 wrote:

Model number: wdbacx0010bsl-01

Ok so I am majorly panicking right now, I have extremeley important files on the HDD hence they were backed up to it! 

It hasnt fallen or been hit or anything like that.(Have had this drive for less than a year)

HDD is not showing up in My computer

When plugged in it whirrs away and the white LED flashes.

It takes a few minutes but the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon eventually shows up when I right click it shows “Eject My Passport 0740”.

When I go into disk management it comes up as Disk 1, unknown , not initialised. then gives me an option to either use MBR or GUID partition styles. 

EDIT: Took the plunge and selected MBR and now I get an error which says it could not be initialized because of an I/O error.,      So now what?

Will choosing one of these mean I lose my data? Is my disk gone? Will I know have to get a disk recovery software?

Please help!!

And thankyou in advance 

Amishra123

I’d like to begin with saying that a back up means having more than one copy. So the files that you are now missing in fact were not backed up. That is a mistake #1.

if you reformatted your drive you can use tools like Recuva, EaseUS, or my personal favorite R-Studio to recover what is still on the drive. First 2 options are freeware tools, so maybe try them first, R-studio will cost you but the tool is worth every penny

OH, and I almost forgot - by no means save found files to the same hard drive that you are trying to recover. Save data onto a local drive or another external one.