My new My Passport 2Tb doesn't recognize

Hello,

I have a My Passport Essential SE 1Tb which works fine, and last month I decided to buy another external drive:

My Passport 2Tb, today I plug in to my computer and it won’t recognize…

I tested on my 2 laptops (Windows 7 and XP), and a desktop (WindowsVista, and even at the back USB port), none of them seem to find the hard drive.

I’m using the original WD cable and the USB port 2.0. When I connect the drive to the USB port I can see the white indicator light continuously blinks, and a sound like “bip”… This is the first time I use this My Passport 2Tb model, so I don’t know if it’s normal that the drive is so quiet, I can’t hear the disc spinning…(while my old My Passport Essential SE 1Tb shakes completely when the disc is spining). With this new drive is so quiet, only can heard the bip sound constantely.

Devise Manager doesn’t have ? and doesn’t find any new hardware.

Also tried to install WD SES driver, with the same result.

I read so many thread but couldn’t find anything similar issue. I don’t know what’s the problem but it doesn’t look like low power issue right? cause it doesn’t work on my desktop either.

I need fast solution as if there’s a problem I need to return it fast (before the return windows expires).

Thank you

Hello,

I recommend that you try some basic troubleshooting:

1- Disconnect the drive from the computer and restart the computer.

2- Please try connecting the drive to the back USB port of a desktop PC for testing purposes (directly to the PC, not through a USB hub).

3- Make sure you hear the connection sound windows makes when recognizes a USB device.

4- Go to "Disk Management” to verify if the drive shows up there. 

If the drive shows up in disk management but it is not seen on Computer, then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.

Hello,

As I mentioned before I already did all that…

I also went to a PC Health Center and they tested in 1 desktop and 1 laptop and none catch the drive. We can’t heard any sound of the disc spining…

Please help

Victors,

It sounds like the drive does not spin up.

One thing to be sure that the USB cable is good and about one feet long.

Do not use long (2-3 feets) USB cable with it, because it will not provide enough power.

Try the USB cable from your old 1TB drive with the new 2TB if it fit.

If not, exchange the drive or get it replace.

hello there,

I only have the cable that came with the 2Tb… which is about 1.5 feet long…

The old 1Tb is another type of connection (micro USB I think), as it’s 2.0 USB while this new 2 Tb use 3.0 USB cable…

I had the same problem, I had to open my drive and I started searching the model number of the drive  WD20NMVW-11W68S0 First I realized that my cable was bad, you should check that first. Second once I opened the drive I saw that connector USB 3.0 is a little loose and I guess some connectors are broken. Since I had back up, I did not care about data, so I send it back to WD, they replaced it within 5 days, not I have brand new drive. Hope that helps

victors, here’s a place to look.  From ‘Administrative Tools’ select ‘Computer Management’ and then ‘Disk Management’.  This shoul show you all the disks connected to your system, even if they have no drive letter.  If you see both external drives on this list, check to see if one is marked ‘offline’.  If there is, mouse over and see if a comment containing the words ‘signature collision’ appears.  If that’s the problem, you’re in luck!

This guy has solved the problem!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/Copy-files-from-one-drive-to-another/m-p/277504/highlight/false#M7587

Once you change the signature on one of the drives, they will both work.

If that’s not the issue…oh, well you’ll have to keep looking!

Peacenik

Thanks for all your help guys…

Peacenik actually I went there before and I coulnd’t find the drive there.

JPage unfortunatelly I don’t have another cable to test it, it’s my first time to see a 3.0 USB cable… I’m not going to open my drive as it’s brand new. I think I’m gonna ask the support for help.

The thing is I bought this drive from a ebay seller… so, really I don’t know if I should ask the seller help or I should go directly to WD… also don’t know if WD will warrent me since I bought it over ebay.

Another bad side, I bought the drive while visiting USA and only found this faulty when I got back to Portugal

By the way I saw WD have support to Portugal, do they have a factory over Europe (where I should send back the drive)?

Otherwise if I send back the drive to USA and if they send the replacement from USA back to Portugal… I might get hit by customs.

Thanks