My CPU at 100% "convert" process

jmm317 wrote:

…but I do care when i can´t access my files, when I have to spend hours to try to reset the unit, when I´m afraid of not been able to get my files out. 

Regardless of whether it’s running at 100% for 1 day or 10 days, you should be able to copy your files out of that device.

Can you post a pic showing you are getting some error message preventing you to copy files out…I would like to see what is the exact issue with file copying even during high CPU usage.

1 Like

You, sir, are a real gentleman.

Thank you very much for your clear answer and “bypass” for the problem.

You provided all the information I needed.

Cybernut1 wrote:

You said you copied over 383GB videos in addition to 400MB of pictures. Well, the total file size isn’t important. What’s important is how many video files and how many picture files are in those 383 gigs of videos (I’m guessing for 400 megs of pics not that many).

Anytime you copy over, video, pictures or audio and you have the media streaming turned on, it will update the dlna database and also build thumbnails for those videos and pictures. I know the twonky server handles the dlna database part. I think the convert process creates thumbnails for all your pictures and videos - that you can view when you access My Cloud EX2 via the movile app. It doesn;t matter whther you actually use that feature or not. It will do that regardless. Your PDFs shouldn’t cause any of this process though.

I can only answer one of your questions - why it takes so long part. It takes so long because this isn’t a very powerful CPU inside the EX2 and there is only 512 megs of memory (RAM) in there. So if you copy in small batchesof multimedia files initially, it won’t take this long. Problem happens when you try to do a large amount of stuff, the memory can’t handle it all so it uses the hard drive’s swap memory to push through and as always swap memory takes much longer to work with. Not to mention a weak CPU doesn’t help. But on the flip side, the NAS costs much less than some of other vendors’ more powerful NAS, which has more powerful CPU and more memory.

You are understanding about the speed, noise, heat, etc. - that’s good because those are expected (though speed shouldn’t be an issue anyway if you are using a wired connection).

I’m running into similar problems. I purchased the My Cloud EX2 4TB to use as a media server in my condo. I have an iTunes library that is in the neighborhood of 180 GB with over 25,000 songs and an iPhoto library that is around 70 GB with many thousands of photos. I set the device up on 6/20/2014.

• The CPU usage has been spiked for days. “Convert” and “wdphotodbmerger” seem to be the biggest CPU users. “upnp_nas_devicec” seems  to hog the most memory.

• The device constantly loses cloud connectivity stating “User not authorized. (400057)” on all users including admin. 

• NAS to USB backup does not work…period. (I was trying to make an extra copy of my iTunes library to a USB drive for safety)

• I have also noticed that occasionally on the home screen, in the diagnostics box on the right hand side, it will come up and tell me that it is overheating, but then when I run a system test, it goes away. The overheating message also does not appear in the system log.

For reference I am using an ASUS RT-AC68U router with UPNP enabled.

I have reset the device multiple times, and even restored it to factory defaults. I eventually turned iTunes Server and DLNA off. 

So far the only thing this device does well is Time Machine backups.

With such a large number of songs and pictures, convert would obviously take a few days to finish. It’s not a powerful CPU, you know. But it would have eventually stopped…until you added more media files. Since you turned DLNA off, I would think convert would no longer be running even if you added new media files.

From my experience, the convert process runs at 100% in both cases: when DLNA is turned on and also when it’s turned off.

But only when adding photos.

NOTR82 wrote:

From my experience, the convert process runs at 100% in both cases: when DLNA is turned on and also when it’s turned off.

But only when adding photos.

Thanks NOTR82. Yes, I guess then convert will run for a while, probably few days if the number of pics is that many. But I know it will eventually stop. So folks should just let it run its course instead of restarting…otherwise, add pics in smaller batches so that the process can run faster and not get bogged down.