My Could keeps changing folder names

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can give me an insight into why my WD my cloud keeps screwing my folder names up?

All my folders have been named before copying them onto the drive, yet after a few days they all come up like the image below…

Any ideas?

Hello there,

In order to better assist you, i would like to know if you could share more details on what computer you are using and the operating system it is running on. Also i would like to know how you are copying the files to the unit.

Hi,

This happens when transferring files both wirelessly and wired ethernet over the network. WD is connected via a TP-LINK TL-SG1005D V6 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch, via cat 6 ethernet cables to the router.

I also have the EX2 WD network drive plugged into the network switch.

I’ve been transferring from both a Late 2009 iMac and mid 2014 Macbook pro both on OSX El Capitan 10.11.3.

The folders only seem to change names when they contain pictures or MP3’s, however not all folders do this.

What is the original name and the new name. Look for a pattern.

RAC

What you’re seeing is called Name Mangling.

That happens when the folder names (or file names) contain characters which, though legal on a Mac, are illegal within Linux.