My Cloud won't sleep?

Hi, I have the option to sleep set to on but it won’t sleep. Stays on all night even when all pc’s on the network are off. Why won’t it sleep because continuously having the HDD spinning can’t be very good for the device surely ?

Thanks

1 Like

Have you added a lot of media recently? While the device is compiling and updating the media library it may remain busy. Remote access by means of a mobile device can also awaken it.

Regards,

1 Like

The device uses a wd red drive and is designed to be on all the time, not great for your electricity bill though !!

Hi, The drive did go to sleep twice but it seems very relunctant to sleep even when nothing is accessing it, I don’t know if it has a countdown timer or something of the sort or how it determines when to sleep. I assume then that it’s ok for the drive to run a lot…

Does it really use that much electricity to make a noticeable difference ?

Thanks

I believe it uses around 7w idle and 10w in use so not a big deal really.

Thought as much, was mainly more worried about HDD life, but I assume having the HDD continuously stop and turn back on is worse than having it run non-stop…Maybe this is why it’s relunctant to sleep…Should only do so at night, problem is I’m not sure if it does this…

Check out posts from Ralphael… This user has been systematically going after the sleep depravation issue. But you don’t have to worry abotu HDD life.

Ok, good to know, Thanks ! :wink: Do you know what has to be met for the HDD to sleep though ? Is it only based on time ?

BTW, do you have a link to the sleep issue post in question ?

Thanks !

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Almost-sleeping-through-the-night-A-good-sign/m-p/715426