My Cloud USB to My Book Problems

Hello All:

I got a 4tb My Book yesterday to use as a backup drive with the My Cloud. I created a SAFEPOINT and nothing happened. It copied over the file structure, but not one file…

I contacted tech support, Level 2 came into my system and checked everything out and has confirmed there is a huge problem with backing up from My Cloud to My Book. I have a case number for this [Deleted for privacy] and screenshots were taken of everything he had seen…

If anyone else is having these issues, please post here. With the recent firmware upgrade, this EXTERNAL DRIVE issue was supposed to be fixed and clearly it is not…

So for my work around to back up MY CLOUD, I am using SyncToy and that seems to be working fine. I have the My Book plugged into a 3.0 slot on my computer and it is working fine…slow but fine. I am hoping once the My Book is direcly connected to the My Cloud and using the SAFEPOINT the backups will go much quicker…

Scott

Firmware Release 3.01.04 (11/5/2013)

• Resolved issue to access shares through WDMyCloud.com remote web access from Windows XP computers.
  • Resolved issue in some instances where Twonky® does not correctly scan for media files.
  • Resolved issue of slow file transfer performance or intermittent WDMyCloud.com remote web access connection.
  • Resolved issue of USB external drives that are not mountable when connected to the My Cloud USB expansion port.
  • Resolved issue of WD My Cloud™ mobile app is not able to connect to the My Cloud drive.

I’m also having the same problems, will try your work about, seems to be the only answer on here:(

I plugged my 3TB MyBook into my 2TB MyCloud and the MyCloud stopped responding to any access via the 

http://192.168.1.8/UI/ dashboard interface. No Login, No dashboard, Nada. Also all the shares that were mounted on the OS went dead.

I have the Latest firmware.

I would stay away from attaching a USB drive until they fix this issue. 

Not really ready for prime time if it won’t work their own products.

Same goes here. After upgraded to latest firmware.

My Book 4TB was showing blank/no data when login to My Cloud Page, but My book was detectable in my computer.

So far it work fine with my computer but NOT with My Cloud.

Has there been a resolve to this problem as I just go my device and I’m experiencing the same issue. When I plug a drive into the USB port it actually causes my cloud to go off-line and requires a hard boot to fix.  I have updated w/th the latest firmware.

I believe USB attached storage problem in my case is a different kind. But overall, I’m very disappointed of My Cloud handling external storage via USB expansion port.

My 4TB (USB 3.0) attached is correctly recognized by my cloud. It is formatted in EXT4. To WD’s credit, I’m very happy that EXT4 is supported by My Cloud. However, unless it’s in Public Access mode, user cannot read/write to the share even with full permission assigned.

WD, please fix the exteranl USB support issue.

Well, like everyone else, Tech support went through all kinds of check on my PC, and I failed to see how that could be related

1. enable windows discovery in network sharing settings

2. reboot my PC

3. disconnect my other mounted drives

4. Claim that My Cloud is only 3T, that external USB drive is not supported as its size 4T is greater than 3T

I’ve just boat a 3TB MyCloud and I’ve the same issues of ddevitt: when I plug an external hard drive to the usb port of my cloud, this stops responding (http, share, media server) after a couple of minutes and I can hear that the internal hard disk works a lot. I suppose that it starts to read the content of the attached drive to create an index but I’ve left it running for 10 hours and it was still working… and still not responding. The only think I could do is unplugging the electricity cable.

I’ve tested:

• 2.5" 500GB seagate portable disk containing photos and pc programs (NTFS)

• 2.5" 500GB Lacie portable disk: this seams really not working due to lack of electricity (NTFS)

• WD 2TB My Book Essential connected with its USB3 cable containig photos and videos (NTFS)

• 4GB PenDrive almost empty FAT32: this is the only one working

Firmware is v03.01.04-139

Any answer from Western Digital? If WD can suggest some temporary workaround would be nice: can it be the NTFS file system? Can it be the fact that we plug full hard disk that make the media crawler/indexer go mad?

When you plug your USB, you should see the content scanning process in the My CLoud adminstration interface. Content scanning takes a lot of time if you have lots of content.

I have the same problem here. I plugged my 3TB WD MyBook into the back USB port in my 3TB WD My Cloud and my Cloud stops responding, no access, dashboard or logging via local or web. It becomes dead device while powered. If I disconnect the MyBook, MyCloud will working perfectly.

However, if I connect a Seagate 500GB USB Drive it works like a champ.

Today 1-8-14 the firmware update automatically to Ver. 03.03.01-156 and the problem persist. Therefore, the new firmware update did not resolved the problem.

I hope WD Tech-Support read these posts and find a solution to this issues ASAP.

Just bought my Mycloud and i’m having the same problem with recognizing my storage capacity. I can see  all the info of the

drive but can’t make a safepoint to backup my drive or use as a extended drive.I updated the recent firmware update  3.03.01 (1/7/14) and still the same thing

All,

This is an update form my previous post. The new recent firmware update did not resolved the issue with My Cloud and USB Drive connection. Well I resolved this issue on my system by doing lot of work and patient. This is what I did

Transfer all the data on My Book (3tb) to an external 3tb usb drive.

Performed a new Quick format to My Book, deleting all the data on it.

Sign out and turn My Cloud (3tb) off using the Dashboard. It take about 3 minutes to turn off.

While My Cloud is off, connected the new formatted My Book to the My Cloud USB port.

Turn the My Cloud on and let it performing all the checks and whatever it do while turning on.

Let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes letting it to read the My Book BIOS, etc.

Finally check it after been on for 30 or 40 minutes and success it works, I even can access both My Cloud and My Book via remote.

Give it a try. It’s a long process especially files transferring however, you will be happy with the final results.