My Cloud - Port Problems

That’s great  murman1 that you got it working!

Before you tried the port forwarding, did you setup a “static IP address” for your computer, as the port forwarding link mentioned to do at the top?

I tried doing the steps mentioned without setting up a static IP without success.

Thanks for the info, and congratulations on figuring yours out!

I understand…but it wasn’t clear to me why you listed steps to forward ports while the other comments were discussing static IPs, nothing to do with ports. Hence my previous comment.

Thanks murman1 and Cybernut1. The issue is getting the My Cloud to work within our silly internet providers rules (blocking ports 80 & 443). You have all be helpful in finding some solutions, and my hope is that this information which you all have provided will not only help me but others struggling with the same issues. If finding a way to make port forwarding works, that’s great! If not, a static IP may the only other solution. Thanks again to everyone for their comments, and it looks like we’re inching closer to a solution!

Port forwarding and static IPs serve very different purposes. Don’t just try one thing or another randomly just for the heck of it. Depending on the actual issue, only one of them would be the right solution. Early on in the thread it seemed that we were discussing about assigning static IPs…not sure how the topic jumped over to port forwarding :slight_smile:

onemachado wrote:

Hi there,

I purchased the My Cloud 2TB to use remotely on my MacBook Air and Apple devices. Unfortunately my internet service provider (Telus) blocks the ports My Cloud uses (443 & 80). My router is a Actiontec and I am now at a loss after trying to figure this out (calling WD, internet provider, & router manufacturer - and spending hours reading online).

I’ve read about making the My Cloud “static” but not sure exactly what I should do and if that will work for me. I’m no computer genius by any means, but I would love to find a way to use the drive for what it’s intended for.

If you can offer any help to this confused new WD customer, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your support!

Are you able to connect remotley with the My Cloud app? When I say remotley I mean from an outside network ex. work etc…?

My provider (Cox) blocks / restricts port 80, what is the work around?

If your ISP blocks port 80, you have to choose another external port (often 8080) and fortward this external port to your NAS port 80. You will have as well to forward an external port to the port 443 of your NAS. For example, forward 8443. Then you have to declare this forwarded ports in the NAS admin UI.

1 Like

Etupes - I’d also mention to RoldGold that he needs to add port info in his connection when connecting remotely. Somewhere in the connection string they’ll have to add “:8080” (just what’s inside the quotes).

Cybernut1, the reason things changed from port forwarding to static IP was all stemming from people trying to help me solve the problem in my first post (cannot connect remotely because my internet provider blocks ports 80, 443, and others).

Some people suggested static IP, others port forwarding.

I’ve yet to be successful, but I am thankful for all the advice!

onemachado - Aah okay, got it now. I had made an offer by PM and I saw you read the email but since you didn’t respond I take it you aren’t interested. No problem.

1 Like

Cybernut1 wrote:
Etupes - I’d also mention to RoldGold that he needs to add port info in his connection when connecting remotely. Somewhere in the connection string they’ll have to add “:8080” (just what’s inside the quotes).

Cybernut1, what do you mean by adding the port info to my connection? Do you mean after the IP address :8080?

RoldGold - yes, that’s exactly what I meant.

1 Like

I have solved the issue - thanks for all the help!

Here’s what I did:

• Called my ISP (Telus) and their service pro (usually a paid service but they gave me 1 month free of pro tech supoprt)\

• Logged on to my router’s admin page 

• Set up a specific static IP address for the My Cloud on my router (within the router’s range)

• Set up the same static IP on the My Cloud dasboard page

At this point it still didn’t work, neither did their attempts to port forward (Telus blocks ports 80 & 443)…

• They then set up a DMZ directly to the new My Cloud static IP (I do realize that DMZ isn’t ideal, but we figured that the me being able to remote access the My Cloud was worth it)

It then worked for me from my mobile devices remotely!

They may have done some other steps, but this was all I could gather. I hope this helps you if you are having similar problems as I was.

Thank you again to everyone for all your help and support!

that is good news. Enjoy  :-)

1 Like