My Cloud Personal Cloud -Now Offline - Can't get it to be back online - Just happened

Hello All,

Last night I noticed my My Cloud NAS showed offline. I don’t know this is, and I have spent all day trying to fix this problem. It is beyond frustrating.

My nighthawk router can see the mac address of the device and is giving it an IP address.
I have enabled UPnP - no devices are showing though in that area

I read that you can port forward to TCP 443 though the issue is that there is no TCP option, HTTP, FTP, Telnet, VPN etc; no TCP and be listed.

I have all IPs as DHCP the entire range and data shows up in the log that it is activated
I do have Access Controls enabled - All IPS are allowed
It shows connected to the router though the app, nor the MyCloud website can connect - indicating it is offline.

I am not sure if this is a device issue, though could be - it might be a network issue.

I am on MacOS - monterey still - going to upgrade that in a second to see if there is an issue with that - though doubt it.

Anybody have suggestions for me? I am stuck.

Armor trial was activated by someone - and that could have been an issue - had to rebuy it to disable it - no dice - still not showing up online.

I can ping the device -
PING 192.168.1.9 (192.168.1.9): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.1.9: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.949 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.1.9: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=2.101 ms

And on the WD Discovery App (WHICH I FREAKING HATE - WHY DID THEY CREATE THIS STUPID INTERFACE) it shows offline

The router sees it connected - and has assigned it an IP- though oddly now it’s not giving it a name -
I have the IP-Range set to DHCP - including adding now that IP to the list - in case it was needed to see if that would change things .

Access controls are fully allowable - internet is fully functional - etc

I have seen all the videos, done everything but reset this device as I have data on this drive that isn’t backed-up elsewhere. The WHOLE purpose of this devices is to BACKUP. Crazy, I have an older MYBOOKLIVE and MYCloud(which is good) still RUNNING and this newer device can’t even let you map a drive letter to it using SMB.

From what I am seeing, there is little you can do for this device other than to rip the drive out to get your data; which is probably what I am going to end up doing.

I tried to the log files though - there is no resposes
http://192.168.1.9:33284/cgi-bin/logs.sh (that port is open)

I used to at least be able to see the device on my LAN (only ever rarely did I connect remotely)

I checked the IP to see if port 443 is open - and it looks like it is closed
My set-up is modem(it’s also a router though set up to act as a modem) —> Nighthawk router —> Cloud device

Completely stuck.

I did post this in another thread - for MYCloud and Not the My Cloud Duo - I have several devices from WD - MyBook, MyCloud, The MyCloud Duo (which is the one I having issues with now).

Hi @SkiRay,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hi Keerti,

Thanks for replying. Yes, created a ticket and no dice. The device drive is toast. I took the drive out of the case, loaded the drive onto drive caddy. Hearing the “click of death” is beyond frustrating, so it is now being salvaged for data. This literally happened just after WD pushed an update after I updated my Mac to Monterey. Just after, the drive went offline, though I didn’t pay attention to it as I though it might have been a network issue and that it would resolve. Turns out that wasn’t the case.

After reading many threads on here, it seems that this is a pervasive issue particularly with this device and it’s firmware updates. Irony is that I have multiple WD products; 2 G Drives, MyBooklive and MYCloud devices in addition to the MyCloud Personal Cloud that just failed that is only 3 years old!

This drive failure is going to cost me a ton to recover I am sure, more than what the cost of this drive is. So, I am going to go with Seagate from now on - looking to purchase a Synology case with Seagate drives and buying 3 year insurance plan for data recovery. WD lost a customer with this for the time being. It should not have failed like this.

Anyway, thanks to those that have responded to this thread and for your help. I know I am not alone as I have gotten a few emails from colleagues that have had similar issues before with their DUO devices and personal clouds. Some inexplicably the same time period as my device failing.