My Cloud OS5 Testing & Observations

Well, it seems that the “Volume_1” drive debacle has had some unanticipated consequences. Now the dashboard is saying that no apps are installed, and the apkg process is using a significant amount of CPU (25%+) resources, despite the NAS being idle.

I know for a fact that several apps were installed, including the backups apps, the FTP app, Entware, and a number of test apps I’ve been experimenting with. Just to confirm, I fired up an SSH connection and the apps files are still there.

On a hunch, I decided to completely shut down the NAS, then power it on again, just to see what would happen. Suddenly the apps are back. WTF!

Once again, I’ve decided to put OS5 on the back burner and wait to see if the next version is more stable, except this time I’m leaving OS5 installed so I can continue working on OS5 app ideas. My Linux development environment is on a separate bootable hard drive, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

In the mean time, I have a few creative endeavors that are begging for my attention.

I hope some of those endeavors are looking into what to do to get past the discovered OS3 security problems that will be back as we return to OS3 form OS5.

Those problems may be the one of the BIG reason we have not seen an official return to OS3.

(at lease we a have a new item to replace one button mice as a White Elephant Gift at the next LAN game party.)

Thanks for all the interesting posting

Indeed they do.

In fact, some of my “creative” endeavors involve finishing a fully automated Debian 10 (Buster) installation process, where I’ve already developed a fully automated installation process for Debian 9 (Stretch) and/or Openmediavault 4. Also, Openmediavault 5 is on my radar, but it doesn’t appear to be entirely stable yet, or at least not as stable as I would like for it to be.

I’ve even compiled a custom Linux kernel with the proper configuration for the hardware, and developed a fully automated hardware control program using the C programming language. Plus there are a few odds and ends I haven’t mentioned and/or merely hinted at.

For me, tinkering with My Cloud OS5 and helping people revert back to OS3 (as a last resort) are just a diversion to keep things interesting. My primary focus has always been to replace the My Cloud OS itself, rather than trying to fix all it’s problems.

1 Like

The motivations for OS/5 are obvious;

• OS/3 is old, and as such is problematic from a security viewpoint
  • OS/3 is basic from a marketing perspective, from both a web app and local user perspective. It just does not hold up in the marketplace at this point.

So . . the desire to have an OS overhaul is justified.

Of course. . . in terms of implementation. . . .yeah. . .that’s the thing. . . . . . . .

I understand the desire to shuck the entire WD software package and just start with widely accepted freeware like OpenMediaVault.

It’s probably a viable option for the type of person that runs Linux on their PC’s. I am not one of those individuals. . . . I have other hobbies . . . .:wink: (yes, I run Win10 machines)

There’s a certain appeal to the simplicity of the My Cloud OS dashboard, but from a visual perspective, My Cloud OS5 doesn’t make the sale as being an “upgrade”, especially when many features have been removed.

As for security, I’m not convinced. Most of the dashboard code (PHP, HTML, JavaScript, and jQuery) appears to be identical, and My Cloud OS5 hasn’t been out long enough to have proven itself.

My Cloud OS5:

My Cloud OS3:

In my opinion, the only real benefit of the My Cloud OS5 “upgrade” is having a recent Linux kernel and core system packages, but they’re hamstrung (from a development perspective) by a maze of stupid design choices, compiled binary program roadblocks (no source code) and zero documentation.

Which brings me back to the simplicity of the My Cloud OS dashboard, and my efforts to recreate it so it can potentially be used with the REAL Debian operating system. And despite the similar appearance, there’s much more to it (under the hood) than meets the eye.

Suffice it to say that I believe the power of REAL Debian coupled with the simplicity of the My Cloud OS dashboard are a winning combination, but I’ll leave it at that for now.

1 Like

Installing an app with internet access BLOCKED goes something like this.

1. Click the apps icon.
  2. Wait 6+ minutes.
  3. Install app from file.
  4. Wait 6+ minutes.

Unresponsive

Dark patterns must DIE!

Speaking of dark…

1 Like

Due to the EXCESSIVE and ANNOYING delays caused by the “App Store” page, I briefly allowed my older PR4100 running My Cloud OS3 to connect to the internet, just so I could debug a PHP caching issue, which was once again found to be caused by the OS itself. Shortly afterwards, the stupid bright orange My Cloud OS5 advertisement appeared.

The unwanted OS5 ad prompted me to check the installed firmware version in the settings section, which turned out to be 2.41.116, a version known to contain the uP.bin PMC chip firmware update. However, the PMC firmware had not been updated, thus suggesting that the uP.bin PMC chip firmware updates only target specific hardware revisions.

PR4100 Hardware revision, circa 2016:

# pmc_comm -c VER
VER=WD BBC v01

PR4100 Hardware revision, circa 2018:

# pmc_comm -c VER
VER=WD BBC v02

By the way, the pmc_comm program is of my own making, and you won’t find it in the factory firmware.

1 Like

I was on my OS/3 EX2 dashboard today. . . .it has been online for a day or three. I saw no such advertisement. HOWEVER. . . . I do not have “check for firmware” enabled, and I am at least one firmware revision “back” on that unit (I think I last updated in the early fall). I suspected something like orange add would have turned up if I had the “last” os/3 firmware loaded.

I’m entering the final development stages of a project to replace the My Cloud OS, but my creativity took a nosedive this evening so I decided to browse older OS5 threads to see what kind of problems people had experienced.

I was shocked, to say the least, and quickly came to the conclusion that OS5 was NOT properly tested prior to it’s release. Most surprising was that time and time again, I read complaints about OS3 features that had been intentionally removed in OS5, including the following.

_20210111_045126

The code for generating the capacity chart appears to be there, but is disabled in OS5 for some inexplicable reason. Then again, I shouldn’t be surprised.

I too read a lot of post over the years and it makes be very sad the number of people needing help .
but it is nice to see an increase in user and WD staff posting.
(you’re post and a few other have been a BIG help )

• Pie charts * – in the code is there a table of what file types are Movies or music ?

also

Some of the NAS units do have less onboard memory and OS5 may have pushed the limits and items had to be cut and and built in items moved to Apps.

Pie chart and indexing could be a time hog or some one thought it might be ?

More firmware updates per fortnight (FPF) than ever before .

That being the case, they could have built the dashboard around checking what the available memory for the NAS is when it starts up and have a “low feature” and a “high feature” dashboard available.