My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

Yeah you can do that and still the indexing nonsense will not stop. Even when you reboot. This restsdk server keeps running amok and ruins the disks.

I need some help - which brand would you recommend instead of WD?
After updating, reindexing has been running for more than 8 days (2X2 TB). After indexing I have moved approx. 2-3 GB and deleted approx. 500 MB. Now the indexing has been running for 3 days and is not finished yet. It really means a useless solution. Therefore, I would like to hear which wrap brand you would recommend. Thanks in advance

I followed a course of action week or so ago. That of turning off Web Access. I did this when my previews had stopped running a full 24 hours.
Oh how I wish i had not. I decided to move them from the Public area into a private one. Thinking of course all the previews would then go with them. No idea where they are stored or in what form.
But after I moved these photos, Off it goes again, day 5 or 6 today and still going onā€¦ Generating Previews.
Duh! would the previews not be the same each time.?
Regards PRincy557

WD should provide a functionality to disable indexing on folder not on a full shareā€¦ They can do it by using a ā€œ.noindex fileā€, the folder which contains this file should be omitted from indexing.

This can be a simple workaround and can fix lots of things for many users.

Hope WD Staff listens!!

1 Like

have been indexing my MyCloudEX2Ultra for nearly 2 months and it still completed 58%ā€¦
this OS5 is totally rubbish

I am planning to change to synology, can i directly put the hard disks using in MyCloudEX2Ultra to the new synology NAS?
Can the files be read and used normally?

@bt1005 Are you on firmware 5.08.115?
Do you have ā€œMobile and Cloud Accessā€ enabled for shares that contain backup data such as Smartware, TimeMachine or other Backup share?

yes, 5.08.115 updated on 19 Dec

Smartware and TimeMachine were closed for share already
i think the only backup data that shares is the photos from the mobile phone
Will the indexing be faster if I cancel the backup of mobile phone photos?

What type of phone do you have ? If you are an Apple user then use iCloud, that would save you a lot of hassle.

I thought I was past the indexing problem until I renamed some folder names 5 days agoā€¦
indexing was actually done but now again at 51%
is that normal? That only renameing or movong a folder could cause this!? this SHOULD be software solved

Finally, 5.08.115 release has restored sleep mode. Now I own a simple network drive, not a NAS, much less a My CLOUD Mirror, but at least it is silent when not in use.
All NAS & Cloud functions are performend by my new QNAP, that controls WD MyCloud.

Goodbye forever, WD.

1 Like

after renaiming the folders indexins is going pretty wrong. The NAS was working fine before but it got pretty stuck at 51%, after DAYS it got to 53% and at some pont the status was just ā€œconnectedā€ but the hardware was still very active. So I restarted it again an it is indexing again, it tookt 2 days to get from 50% to 52%ā€¦
and the worst of it: I can not acces the drive while itā€™s working. I need to refresh the page 5 times to get to the setiings and itā€™S taking forever. the same with the folders. taking sometimes minutes to open a folder.
Any ideas? besides getting another brand? :slight_smile:
thnaks

Iā€™m very disappointed about my NAS system since 1 year I started to have a lot of problem with it (Fan not responding on operation except on boot sequence, web interface not stable) and now with OS 5 I got more problems than beforeā€¦ ( Fan constantly running at 100% even on idle operation, its been 3 days that my system is indexing my data 3tb and it still around 7% and sometimes it reset when I login again on the web interface, Web interface not accessible at all blank page). Now tonight I was only mapping network drive on my girlfriendā€™s PC and suddenly the system went off! Thereā€™s a lot of issue with this product. I donā€™t know if I should change brand I donā€™t feel my data is safe with that platform. For the fan problem, support told me that it was a defective fan but now with the new OS its working now ? I donā€™t understand anymore whatā€™s happening with this. Running the v5.08.115 for the firmware.

@Marco472 Do you have all 3 TB of data in a single share?
Do you have Mobile and Cloud Access enabled on shares that may contain computer or other type of Backups?

If you do not have all 3 TB in a single share, you could turn off Mobile and Cloud Access on some shares and enable them later and completely disable cloud access on any share that contain backup data that do not require remote access.

sorry but I can simply not understand anymore how WD does not react to all these reactions.
The indexing is running the second time, now sice probably 29.decā€¦ I had the feeling it was completed and 3 days the drive was generating previews.
Without doing nothing - the drive is indexing againā€¦!
Very disapointing

I upgraded my WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra about 48 hours ago from OS 3 to OS 5. The fan has been screaming and the temps hot ever since then. Strange that with OS 3, it never made a sound. Indexing is at 50%, meaning Iā€™m averaging about 1% per hour for 1 TB of data. Are you kidding me? This software is a disaster! How about when the fan fails? Will WD pay for that? Iā€™m a little worried about fire hazard now with my over-heated device. And WD is silent on this forum. Shameful. Iā€™ll be taking my business elsewhere.

1 Like

If you donā€™t use WD mobile apps, turn off cloud access. OS5ā€™s indexing, preview generation and pre-transcoding (what the hell is this?) ā– ā– ā– ā–  your hard disks on regular basis. You can also turn off cloud access on a share basis.

We all experienced that issue. And the funny thing is, it start indexing again and again and again
And it looks like that indexing also start when you add data to a share not web published.

Frankly speaking, banana software built by some exotic coders using SCRUM and an fresh men product owner in the third outsourced line. And developed on super computers rather than the CPUā€™s built into WD hardware.

1 Like

Slightly off topic. . ā€¦ BUT. . . . . . .

EDIT: Deleted post regarding a month old 5TB WD MyPassport drive and another 18 month old 2TB WD MyPassport drive.

While the 2TB drive was a lost cause, the 5TB has been revived with liberal application of CHKDSK, and Adobe Lightroomā€™s Catalogue integrity and optimization tools. I suspect the drive is OK, as I suspect user error was a root cause.

While a little time consuming, no data was lost due to these problems due to my backup strategies.

@SBrown I only got 2 shares plus the public share that is by default on the system and I want to be able to access all the content from outside of my network so yes its all cloud access enabled. And the only thing I received from you guys from support is some articles on how to resolve that issue. And the funny thing is every article is saying that waiting on the indexing operation to end. But It never ends! And now tonight It was saying that it failedā€¦

That is what tey call ā€œa goog custumer experienceā€

Hahahahah