My Cloud OS5 - Indexing taking forever

I’m having the same problem
PR4100 with 4x10TB, indexing take forever, received several email warnings over temperature
I currently deactivate cloud access while waiting for a repair from WD
While waiting, I started looking for another brand of NAS if the WD didn’t do anything

1 Like

I personally can’t believe that someone would initiate a transcoding operation without deliberate action. On a 4bay NAS unit. . . . .I mean. . a 4 bay NAS. . .that implies a HUGE amount of media, does it not?

What did they think would happen?

(to think. . .I complained about a lowly 2bay EX2 ultra.)

I use my NAS for media streaming across HEOS, Roon devices, PCs and Apple device end points with close to 60,000 tracks. The lack of WD ownership of the issue, and my lack of conifidence in their future management of NAS support has made me make the decision to go with a Synology NAS…

The only “good thing” with the new update is that you can see the indexing progress (%).

Still no update on my device.

@KMBak I downloaded manually from here.

My sense is that the big problems we’re experiencing are the result of a deep level pooch-screwage in the OS 5 design, and they’re fixing what they can fix quickly. Hopefully, someone is working on the big issues (including the development and release process itself).

1 Like

The problems with OS5 are all down to a redesign of MyCloud.
In my opinion this redesign has three flaws
1 - It is aimed at a different audience to much of WD’s current user base. Messages like ‘Your memories are safe’ when doing an upload are not aimed at business users, obviously.
2 - It is in many things large and small, from the ui to the indexing, simply badly done
3 - (And point 2 may be partly an outcome of this) I suspect it of having a hidden agenda such as monetisation of MyCloud. Taking easy integration with other cloud services out of the app, for example, could be a clue here.

I’ve also noticed that although they mention the possibility to switch off video transcoding for MyCloud, they don’t mention the whole wasted thumbnailing resources.

Overall, whatever the reasons, they tried to do too many things at once with the OS5 release instead of taking a more phased approach.

I’m thinking, if they officially support Docker, then everything we currently use MyCloud for can be done with Docker and MyCloud can simply be switched off except for the people for whom it has been designed - people for whom messages such as ‘hello xxx’ and ‘your memories are safe’ are targeted.

1 Like

This is only a marketing strategy, because from what I can see My Cloud OS5 brings no addded value but troubles only.

MyCloud OS3 was way better.

So after 10 days and disabling web access for many shares, mine has stopped “indexing” but the drives are still churning hard, they are at about 50 degrees Celsius each. How do I find out what else this piece of ■■■■ is up to???

Ok, I upgraded to 5.05.111.

The indexing is finished (it was on going since 4 days, now in 20’ it finished…miracle) BUT… CPU is still going up & down crazily and there is infinite disk activity, as nothing changed.
Definitely far away from Stand-by or IDLE condition, even if no one is accessing the device and no backup/activity is ongoing now.

I had to turn the Cloud off to silent the device. Killing a feature to have a normal situation is NOT a solution.

1 Like

updated to 5.05.111 and indexing immediately stopped after restart. everything seems to work. CPU usage finally at a normal level and my 53C° Hard drives are finally getting a break.

Fans have been running at over 10k rpm, drives at over 50C° for almost 2 weeks. New firmware definitely worth it so far. Had to do a manual update. Drives are cooling as we speak.

1 Like

После ручной установки обновления 5.05.111.При включении DHCP в роутере ASUS AX88U , WD My cloud PR4100 исчезает соединение через определенное время ,связь со всеми устройствами ПК, и ТВ. Помогает только установка статического адреса IP! Не хрена ничего не исправили!
Ранее отваливался сервер Twonky.

Thanks for that answer, i think its at least 50% of an solution.

But i have a second question: if i finish the indexing and restart the WD, would it indexing again or not?
And if i restart while indexing, do it start from zero or were i stopped?

Does someone know that? I mean, sometimes it sounds like it would.

1 Like

All , with reference to “indexing taking forever” :slight_smile:

I have got the PR4100 / 16GB internal / 8 TB disk usage 70%.
it took the machine 6 days before indexing was done.
systems is running stable and is quiet.

Ray

My understanding is that indexing will occur on a regular basis. . .but only for INCREMENTAL changes on the drive. . . . basically, to keep the thumbnails uptodate.

Ah? Where? On https://os5.mycloud.com ?

I suspect scb99 is correct on the marketing aspect.

I think it is worthwhile noting that I have abandoned more than one long term product because they switched to a subscription type model.

I think many of the people who buy NAS units are not interested in “subscriptions” either.
If I was to subscribe to a data storage service. . . .I would probably use dropbox or onedrive. . . .I would not even consider WD as a credible vendor. (nor google. . . given google’s track record of abandoning products)

Frankly. . . . I think I would be perfectly happy WITHOUT the cloud access and web app.

Since the update i cant find the WD on my TV, does the media server also need the indexing?
Or did the update changed something?

I update the firmware to that newest version. No indexing but fan still is over 6000 rpm. Why?!