My Cloud not backing up Windows 10 computer

Hi, I have been using the My Cloud for about a year without a problem until about a month ago when I updated to Windows 10. My wife’s Windows 7 computer still backs up properly but the Windows 10 does not. Does the My Cloud software not work with Windows 10? Thanks!

Welcome to the Community.

What issues are you encountering? What is the name of the software you are using to manage your backups? Is it WD SmartWare? Or is it WD Sync? More information will allow for more Users to better help you.

Which program should I use for automatic backups, sync or Smartdrive???

Hi-

I am using WD SmartWare to do the backups. I was able to do one backup recently after trying probably 20 times. That backup was a scheduled backup but I cannot do the continuous backup anymore. I have tested it by adding files to my desktop and then checking to see if they end up on the WDMyCloud drive but they never do.

tbliss wrote:

Which program should I use for automatic backups, sync or Smartdrive???

They both serve a different purpose with different features. It’s up to your priorities and how you would like for your copies to behave.

kpmcmullin wrote:

Hi-

I am using WD SmartWare to do the backups. I was able to do one backup recently after trying probably 20 times. That backup was a scheduled backup but I cannot do the continuous backup anymore. I have tested it by adding files to my desktop and then checking to see if they end up on the WDMyCloud drive but they never do.

What happens if you change WD SmartWare to Windows 7 or Windows 8 compatibility mode?

Ho do you change it to Windows 7 compatibility mode?

Trancer - WD’s online materials do not make it clear how Sync and Smartware differ or provide any real detail regarding the “different features” to which you refer. Therefore I am unable to evaluate how either accomplished my priorities.

Can you please elaborate?

kpmcmullin wrote:

Ho do you change it to Windows 7 compatibility mode?

Right-click the executable, go to properties, then compatibility.

tbliss wrote:

Trancer - WD’s online materials do not make it clear how Sync and Smartware differ or provide any real detail regarding the “different features” to which you refer. Therefore I am unable to evaluate how either accomplished my priorities.

Can you please elaborate?

WD SmartWare is designed to keep a single, continuous, gradual backup and keeps deleted files on your NAS. WD Sync is designed to mirror the backup source and deletes files accordingly.

Seems like it is working but definitely not immediately. I have it set on continuous backup and the software is backing up to another seagate hard drive without a problem but it doesn’t backup continuously to the my cloud. Sometimes it takes a day just to write one file