My Cloud - My archive deleted by mistake

I use “WD My Cloud 3TB Harddisk”. I deleted my own
archive, while I was in sharing settings and trying to cancel the the
computer storage of the disk that I use via web. Is it possible to
return this? There were PSD and Tif formatted files in it. I would be so
happy if you can help me.

http://i.hizliresim.com/57vo5L.jpg

There is no TrashRecycle Bin on the My Cloud. There is no “Undo last Command”. Depending on the OS you are running you can try to retrieve the files using a recovery software and in the worse case remove the drive from the My Cloud and attach the HDD to a linux box. Whatever you choose do not write to the drive until you find a method of recovery.

Metin,

Short answer: “Oh Snap!!!”

Longer answer:
If you don’t have another copy of that stuff somewhere else, there’s not much you can do unless you know more about forensic disk analysis than pretty much all the rest of us do.

The My Cloud runs a version of Linux. (I think it’s a Debian clone, but it really doesn’t matter in this case.) And as SectorGZ has said, there’s no recycle/trash functionality there that I know of.

The BIG problem here is that Linux filesystems use a completely different way of organizing data than the Windows file systems do - and as a result there isn’t much you can do if you delete something.

I’ve had things like that happen on Linux systems, I’ve researched it a bit, and the consensus of opinion is that once you erase something on Linux, it’s GONE!

Of course, if you have the budget of the FBI or the CIA, there might be things you can do. As for us mere mortals. . . . . Sigh. . . .

Quite frankly, I’d like to see someone come on this thread and suggest something worthwhile - like how to enable a recycle/trash function on the My Cloud.

Sorry, but there may not be much you can do at this point.

Jim “JR”

Hmmmmm. . . . .

The more I think about it, the more it seams like this is functionality that could be added.

Since most of the commands are not real commands, (but are rather arguments to BusyBox), it shouldn’t be too difficult to “overload” the “rm” command to do this.

I’m thinking it would work something like this:

1. Create a “hidey-hole” somewhere on the filesystem.
  2. Take the original “rm” command and make it a link to a script.
  3. The script would move the offending object to the “hidey-hole” and return.
  4. You could take the original meaning of “rm” and create a new link to a short script called “rmf” (or whatever) that would do a call to the real “rm” with the object as the parameter.

Definitely doable. It’d just take a bit of skull-sweat to do it.

I’m gonna have to dig up some “experimenting” time! (and maybe buy another one of these to play with!)

Jim “JR”

There are ways to undelete a file. If you google linux undelete. You will see several
methods.

RAC