My Cloud Mirror is not seen in Explorer network

I have 2 desktops using Windows 8.1 pro and installed WD Sync on both. Opening up Explorer l can see all my Cloud files under Network. From here l can edit and save them ok.

I also have a Windows 10 laptop, again l installed WD Sync but this time when l open up Explorer then Network l see nothing at all. My only access to the files is direct on the web, but here l can only download a file.

Is it a Windows 10 issue? And is there some setting l need to alter?

Windows 10 changed and removed a lot of the network stuff, principally SMB1 support and WINS support.

The default is now SMB2 or SMB3, neither of which have the browsing and easy identification methodology which the network tab needs.

It is possible to reinstall some of the SMB1 support back into Win10, but there are security risks involved in doing so (search for “Wannacry” and you’ll find some details of the issues).

But what you can do is in Explorer use either the network name or IP address and manually connect to the MCM (e.g. in the address bar type \\MYCLOUDMIRROR or \\192.168.0.2 , but in each case replace the part after the \\ with the correct name or address for your specific device).

That should then make a connection and open up a list of all the available shares. It should also cause the device to appear until the network tab, although that will only last for the current window - if you close Explorer and open it again then you’ll be back where you were.

Thank you very much, that’s helping me understand the problem.

I am tempted to try to reinstall SMB1 and fingers crossed, l was at the stage of installing Windows 8.1 on a new ssd.

If l am successful with SMB1, would my risk only be there during the time l was accessing My Cloud drive on my laptop, but no risk at all when using my desktop with Windows 8.1?

Thank again for your help.

No, it’s a general risk. As I said, look up “Wannacry” and you’ll get some idea - it’s a security risk in SMB1 that has been identified and can possibly be utilised on any device with it installed, regardless of being used.

On a home network, if you’re careful (not opening dodgy email links/attachments or websites for example) and have up to date anti-virus and suchlike then the risk may be acceptable. But that’s down to you to judge.