My Cloud Mirror can't backup to USB

I have a new myCloud mirror gen 2 4TB drive formatted JBOD, latest firmware 2.11.113. It also hangs when creating a backup copy of the NAS to a USB attached WD passport & Mybook.
The backup copy job is copying 3 shares from mycloud disk 1 and 1 share from disk 2, it consistently copies everything from disk 1 successfully and fails at the same point copying the share from disk 2. The backup activity bar remains active, but the job never completes (waited 24 hours as other people reported). 200GB out of an 350GB are copied from disk 2.
But you can get it to work successfully, after it gets stuck:

1. Eject the USB drive
  2. Stop the backup (it won’t, but try anyway)
  3. Disconnect the USB drive
  4. Reboot the MyCloud
  5. Change the backup job type to SYNCHRONISE rather than COPY
  6. Reattach the USB drive (job set to run when the drive is attached)

This sequence has now (apparently) worked successfully twice. But how to check 40,000 files?

So I guess it’s not just the long pathname that causes a problem, there’s also a bug.

Excellent support from WD for my NAS->USB backup problem.
Support clearly monitor the community forum and [[Deleted]] from WD support contacted me after I submitted a reply to this topic.
He asked me to run a backup using SSH, log the output and save the system logs. WD engineering support then analysed the output and got back within a day with an answer.
The backup was failing (with a segmentation violation) because a few files had ‘%’ characters in the filenames. Easy to get rid of these as a work around until WD produce an update.
Thank you [[Deleted]] and WD support.

How do you log the output?

From what I can figure out the USB backup runs “usb_backup -a NAMEOFJOB -c jobrun” but that doesn’t output anything. If I do a normal rsync it works fine but the backup from the GUI just stalls

WD support told me to run this command:

usb_backup -a nameofthebackupjob -c jobrun -D

I guess the -D option gives the verbose output that logs each file copy command. I wasn’t sure where the output would be directed (stderr or stdlog) so saved all terminal output on the pc using putty.

Thanks. I actually figured out my problem in the end without it. I had a symlink on the drive by mistake which was pointing back to the root of the drive, so the backup was just continually following it. (Because for some reason it doesn’t copy symlinks as symlinks but as the actual destination file/folder)

Still, useful to know that for if I ever have a problem again

I’ve try it and get the Output:
du: write error
dry_total_size:2
rsync: writefd_unbuffered faild to write 43 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(1530) [sender=3.0.7]
lib_backup: copy/sync monde status 30

I have no idea what that means.

Can anyone help?

I just went through this topic and another regarding the MCM to USB backup that doesn’t work. I have also the same problem and was hoping to find help in this community.

I see that there has no longer been any activity in the those topics since about a year. Does that mean WD has solved the problem? In such a case, why WD doesn’t post a reply here? Please can anyone let me know the present status and if there is any other location I should look at.

Dear WD people,

Is this issue now resolved (ability to schedule a NAS to USB backup)
I have a MyCloud since a few years at home on which I don’t do firmware upgrades so I didn’t recognise the issue yet.
MyCloud is being backed up automatically weekly to a WD elements via USB.

Just today I installed a MyCloud at a relative’s house with the intention to backup to a local USB drive. (I also updated the firmware)
But I was unable to schedule this and it puts me in some trouble.
Can you advice me the action and timeline which WD is applying to resolve this situation?

Best regards,
Koen Janssens

I am considering getting the My Cloud Mirror but I want to use my My Books for backups via USB. There seems to be many issues in doing this.

It’s been three months since the last update from WD Staff. Has this problem been fixed?

Thanks

A lot of time has passed, but the problem of missing “scheduled USB-backup” still seems to be unsolved for MyCloudMirror.

Maybe engineers think, a USB-Backup should be stored in a secure distance to the MCM. So if it has to be brougt back manually, schedules do not work. In my case, the external HDD is in a seperate part of the building. And I´d rather have that function than start the backup manually, because I use to forget that again and again.

Of course, it wouldn´t help me, if that feature would only be offered to new systems, as I still have a MCM of generation 1, and hope that it will still work in some years.

Greetings,
Wein-Franke

I am still facing the backup problem with a My Cloud Mirror 2. Gen. WD offers me an RMA replacement, but I am reluctant to take it. I fear that an exchange will not solve my problem, leaves me some time without the NAS and just costs me money for sending the device.

So I would like to know whether someone finally resolved this issue together with the WD support or by replacing the device.

Hope to hear your suggestions.