My cloud is bricked after setting a static ip

Good day everyone! Especially WD corp…

I’ve set a static ip using the NAS dashboard. After being restarted it came dead with yellow led flashing. I’ve tried to restore the device to it’s factory defaults by holding the reset button for 4 sec and for 40 sec but it was useless - nothing changed. I’ve looked through the wd community and the only solution that I’ve found was the disassembly of the device that would at least result in the warranty loss. The worst thing is that I’ve already transferred the full home photo library to the storage and I have no other copy. That is why I have to write this post instead of getting the refund!!

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Your Customer.

Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem.

The drive worked using DHCP addressing, but I was experiencing some disconnections issues.

So I set up a static IP using MAC address in my router, and then manually configured the IP in hte Dashboard (incl. subnet mask, gateway, dns, etc.).

A few seconds after changing the configuration, some error messages starting poping up in the dashboard, then the drive stopped responding altogether.

Around a similar time, the LED went from blue to flashing yellow and all other form of communications to the drive stopped working (e.g. ping, network discovery, etc.).

Since then, I have tried doing power cycles and both powered on and powered off reset procedure without any changes.

The drive still goes into “blinking yellow” LED mode at each reboot, and cannot be found anywhere in my routers’ IP range.

Is there any way to restore the original network configuration (since the reset procedure don’t seem to be doing the job)? or what else can I try?

Is the next step to return the drive to Amazon?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I solved it opening the box, recovering my data and fixing the problem…but voiding the warranty:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-WD-My-Cloud/m-p/631217#M2273

This bug should be fixed by WD with a new firmware as soon as possible!

Short or long reset MUST reset user configs to default!

1 Like

sammarbella wrote:

I solved it opening the box, recovering my data and fixing the problem…but voiding the warranty:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-WD-My-Cloud/m-p/631217#M2273

This bug should be fixed by WD with a new firmware as soon as possible!

Short or long reset MUST reset user configs to default!

Yeah, that’s great! 

But i still wonder how am i going to gain the acces to my drive for that patch being intalled?

Well the point is once the MyCloud is soft bricked cause this ********* bug you only have 2 options:

• Return it to WD to get a fixed one ( normally with a refurbished hdd inside)or a refund, in both cases you will lost your data.

• Void the warranty and do what I did: open it, recover your dat,  fix it and don’t mess with static IPs  or DNSs until a new firmware fix this bug!

same situation… need new firmware!

When setting up your static IP address what information did you enter into the dashboard?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf  (User Manual)

See p.81

hi, I had the same problem just after changing the ip two months ago. 

So I followed Sammarbella suggestions and instrunctions in order to fix by myself even considering the risk to lose warranty.

It was a great success!!!

After fixing the device, I wrote the customer care (in italy) explainig the bug and attaching all the solutions and issues described in the community. They just calling me back after 2 hours tho receive further details and they were available to change the device even if it was dissassembled. So it was and now I have a new mycloud. I’m not going to change ip address anymore!!!  

:smileyvery-happy:

Hi guys, this issue is currently under investigation. 

jubei04 wrote:

Hi guys, this issue is currently under investigation. 

Any idea when this might be fixed. I have a bricked wd my cloud right now because of this static ip reset firmware bug, and I don’t want to have to rma my device only to get a refub.

Vort11,

I’m just guessing that even if they have a firmware update to fix this problem, you might be out of luck because you have to be on the network to update your firmware. 

I think you’re right. If there’s no physical way to reset the incorrect static ip, and there’s no way to access the software as is, this thing is a brick. A mod on here says they’ve escalated this issue to engineering, but I’m willing to be their solution is to send it in. There’s no way they’re going to be able to issue a fix for many unfortunate users like myself.

Check your “router logs” on what IP your device is attempting to use. If you can get the ip and maybe the netmask you might be able to set your router to a similar configuration to see the device.

Or once you get the ip and the netmask, you can attach it directly to your PC port to port and attempt to web/ui it or SSH into it?

Ralphael wrote:

Check your “router logs” on what IP your device is attempting to use. If you can get the ip and maybe the netmask you might be able to set your router to a similar configuration to see the device.

Or once you get the ip and the netmask, you can attach it directly to your PC port to port and attempt to web/ui it or SSH into it?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by connecting directly to my pc port to port? Do you mean via usb or ethernet?

no idea if it would work but give it a shot… 

You can connect ethernet to ethernet port between your pc and the wd cloud without a crossover cable and if you can match the ip’s and subnet closely so the device thinks you are on the same network, then you can web/ui or ssh into it. Once you do that… immediately reset the dhcp… then you are done…

here are the almost step by step thoughts I wrote out yesterday night

Possible solution for fixing the bricked fixed IP

Hey guys,

I am really glad that I came into this thread before buying!

I am thinking of buying : Western Digital My Cloud WDBCTL0030HWT 3TB

my plan was to connect this drive to my computer directly using ethernet 1gbit connection.

to my understanding, to do this I must either have DHCP server running on my computer or assign the drive a static ip address.

because my computer runs windows 8 (and not windows server) this makes it impossible (or cumbersome for the very least)

based on this thread, this drive can’t be assigned a static ip address (and work)

and thus I should not buy this one

Is that correct?

:confounded: Iiii  disregard my post   

I got a new My Cloud EX2 with two 4 TB drives.  I copied a lot of files over from my old NAS.  Then I changed to a static IP.  I had updated to latest firmware before doing this. When I got I figured they must have fixed that problem by now.  They hadn’t.  I ran for a couple of days.  Then my file copying slowed down.  I thought I would reset the NAS.  It wouldn’t start back up.  I created a help ticket with WD.  When the response came back saying having a red LED was bad I was a little upset.  I had never mentioned I had a red LED.  They obviously did not read my ticket.

Good news though.  I have recovered.

I powered down the NAS.  Pulled out both drives.  Powered up the box.  After some time (I don’t know how long because I was away for several hours), the NAS was back on line.  I looked at my router and it was at the static IP address.  I logged into it from my browser.  Set the IP address back to dynamic.  Shut down the NAS.  Reinstalled the drives.  Powered back up.  And it is running.  All data I had copied is intact.

Maybe it would have stayed working with the static IP after this.  I just didn’t want to be burned a second time.

It is easier to leave the NAS setting to DHCP and to use the router DHCP settings to assign a fixed IP address to the MAC address of your NAS. No risk to brick the NAS this way. Easy to change the IP address. Just reboot the NAS after changing the router settings. Some users recommend to assign an IP address outside of the range of the DHCP range.

I faced the same issue, setting ip to static to 192.168.0.52.  My Netgear is 192.168.0.51.

The NAS became not reachable and no I was expecting the worst.

Did a reset (10 seconds) and the NAS was not even showing up in the Netgear (Connected Devices List).

see link : 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432/~/how-to-reset-a-wd-my-cloud,-mirror,-ex2,-or-ex4-personal-cloud-drive

I removed the disks (still don’t know whether this is necessary though) and hooked it back on.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2O_ew4Yrqs))

No difference.

I suggest to download to WD program “WD Discovery”, which comes in handy for searching your NAS.

( http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/WD-Discovery.shtml))

Basically I hooked the NAS directly to my PC and changed my PC ip-address in the same range of the NAS. It took a while (might be up to 3 minutes) when “WD Discovery” found it, showing an IP address which was not familiar to me. I connected to the given IP address and was able to login the admin screen.

Once logged in, it will ask you to put the disks back in, so I did and all looked fine.

Reset is applicable for the Device Name, IP Settings, and Administrator Password of a WD My Cloud, WD My Cloud Mirror, WD My Cloud EX2, or WD My Cloud EX4 Personal Cloud drive back to factory default.

Note that at factory settings the RAID is set to RAID_1, it is not clear whether this setting is put back with a reset when being different.  I guess most people won’t have this changed.

Hope this helps all of you of preventing a RMA process.

Sad not to find any info on this from WD Support itself.

PS : This NAS is over rated big time, it is my last WD product.