My Cloud Install Error Windows 7

I read about the new My Cloud line on Ars Technica and have been champing at the bit to get one.  Today (Sunday) seemed perfect.  Took less than 1/2 hour round trip to Best Buy and back.

Took my time unpacking and RTFM - easy as pie pictures these days.  Cut to the chase: I’m running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  When I run mc_windows_setup.exe, it locates my drive on the network, displays “Please wait while we check your device…”, and shortly after I get a blue screen and my PC reboots.

I’m an IT professional with extensive experience.  I tried several times, even disconnecting everything on the network except MC drive and my PC, started from clean boot, and anything else I could think of.  No dice.

Not wanting to waste OP’s time, I checked the forums and the knowledge base.  Used Advanced Search to specify My Cloud, Installation, and keyword “error”.  Nothing…

Found WD Tech Support was available on Sundays.  GREAT!  Called and was told that, in order to provide you with the best technical support, please call between Monday and Friday.

Holy Toledo!  I’m trying my best to have the proper perspective here.  I thought this was a super product that Western Digital wouldn’t think twice about putting resources into early adopter support.  The Level 1 tech I spoke to did a wonderful job of being diplomatic and polite, and we both gave each other time to communicate.  When all was said and done, the tech told me he understood completely, adding that as much as I was upset, he would be even more upset if he were I.

Western Digital:

I applaud the gentleman you chose to hire, who I spoke to today.   But SHAME, SHAME  ON YOU for even CONSIDERING to limit tech support to Monday thru Friday when you’re launching a product like gen 2 of My Cloud.

This should not require any further explanation.

Try downloading the version that’s on the web instead of the CD. Or, just skip it altogether… For an IT Pro, it doesn’t add any value.

Outstanding!  Did not consider the MC drive would be available locally without Step #2 (download/install a native client.)  I was on my tablet when i read your msg. Went to PC with optimism, opened the local network, and there it is!

So, nothing much in the app to speak of?  I’ll try setting up on my droid now - maybe the mobile flavor is similar…?  As long as I can get mobile access setup through the internet, and define sharing options.

BTW, no CD with 3TB My Cloud, just a one-page foldout with a couple of line pictures and a web address to download.

Well, I was able to install the Android app from Google Play to my TF700. First thing that offered was to update my firmware. That completed fine, and then allowed me to connect with the My Cloud app.

No dashboard - so checking the PDF manual (that I had to locate and download), I see that requires a PC. Which was my problem. But, I think, the firmware was updated - maybe the PC install won’t crash now.

So I relaunch the setup under Windows, and it runs all of the way through! …well, ALMOST all of the way. It said it was done, but when I clicked on ‘Finish’, it just stared back at me. After clicking a dozen or so times, seeing the button disply click feedback, and waiting…  I tried the window Close button. That worked!

But now I can’t find any shortcuts, software - no sign anything was ever installed.  I reboot…

While wondering what to…Windows begins ‘installing software for your hardware’. By George, it found something it liked from Microsoft library, installed, and said it was ready. Whatever ‘it’ was.

Now I look at my Network again and see various WDMyCloud icons. First one I had to click Properties to get a local address. Went there -it was the drive’s media player. (Twonka?)

Next WDMyCloud icon (voila!) it opens the My Cloud status page for the dashboard.

A lot of time, diligence and perseverence, and although I can access everything from my PC, iPad, and Android tablet’ I’m not certain I’m using features as intended.

It’s late now. I"ll worry about those things “Monday thru Friday”.  

Thanks a bunch for setting off the light bulb that allowed the progress tonight.

DigitalChisel wrote:

No dashboard - so checking the PDF manual (that I had to locate and download), I see that requires a PC. Which was my problem. But, I think, the firmware was updated - maybe the PC install won’t crash now.

There is a “PC”-based dashboard, all of the WD NAS boxes have that.   I’ve never used it; I manage everything from the NAS’s own Web-based dashboard.

DigitalChisel wrote:

Windows begins ‘installing software for your hardware’. By George, it found something it liked from Microsoft library, installed, and said it was ready. Whatever ‘it’ was.

As far as I know, all that is is a few icons and “.inf” files that Windows uses to represent the storage device in certain views within windows explorer (like the My Computer view, the Cloud will be shown under Storage devices and Media Players, depending on how the Cloud is set up) and defines what happens when you double-click those icons.

Tony, One thing I’d like to understand better.  I loaded the My Cloud app to all mobile devices.  On my cell, I turned off Wi-Fi to test connection outside of my local network, and launched the app.  The cell connected via cellular/internet to my device and displayed all folders and shares without asking for any type of login.

Is this how it’s intended to work?  Am I “doing it the wrong way”?

Thank you!

DigitalChisel wrote:

The cell connected via cellular/internet to my device and displayed all folders and shares without asking for any type of login. Is this how it’s intended to work?

I think the answer to that is “Yes.”   When you first installed it, you would have connected to the Cloud in one of two ways:

1) If you added it “manually,” you should have been asked either to enter an authorization code which you generated from within the Cloud’s web UI.

2) If it self-discovered it on your local network, when you selected the device, it should have asked which user to associate to, and when that is selected, it would have asked for a password (if the user has a password assigned.)

But if you’re saying you didn’t use an auth code, and were never asked to select a user, then I’m not sure why that’d happen.

The two items you mentioned didn’t occur (to the best of my memory).  Never was asked to setup a user or security when starting from the droid install.  Only after the PC setup kinda’ worked, was when I was asked to enter first name, last name, and optional email address if I wanted to connect remotely.  Nothing that seemed related to secure logon.

So far, I haven’t chose any options to setup/access a Cloud account.  I believe everything is local so far, and that’s why I asked about the internet access.

When the PC installation initally failed, that’s when I downloaded My Cloud app to my ASUS droid tablet.  When launched, it found the device on my network, connected, and provided the full access I’ve described without any authorization.  I then proceeded to download My Cloud mobile app to my iPad and GS3 cell.  Everything just connected.

So I got the components to work by drilling down to the metal with your info, and then I defined a second user (Browser, my dog), and two new shares - one that my account had full access, and one where Browser had no access.

Connecting with any device immediately offers full access.  I’m aware that I can set a 4-digit PIN code per device, but that doesn’t seem right, and that’s why I think I’m doing it the wrong way.

Go look in the Web UI for the Cloud and look to see what remote access users are defined as.

It will look like this.

It should have SOME user defined there.

The good news is that, now, everything is working as expected.  I don’t believe in “ghosts in the machine” when a problem re-occurs after multiple, sincere attempts to provide as close to a ‘vanilla’ scenario as possible.

Without making any changes since last night, I used my iPad and ASUS tablet this morning to take a picture with each, upload to My Cloud device, and verify that each pic was available.  I did all that without being prompted for any login.

Since I posted my security dilemma this morning, and after you replied, I checked again.  Lo and behold, I am now prompted on all devices to login.  This cannot be explained by ‘sync’ time, as over eight hours passed between any config changes last night and when I freely shared the pics between devices this morning.

Maybe WD is making changes from their own knowledge, or maybe they’re monitoring this thread, or you are tapping the right people, or something else…   It doesn’t matter - I’m not looking to put blame where people are doing their best. :slight_smile:

The bottom line on my end is “the plan is coming together”.  I’m keeping this thread open only for the benefit of those who follow.  Thank you for taking your time to help.  I expect to close this thread soon and, because of the good experience I’m having (e.g., your help) I’m looking forward to posting and sharing more.