My Cloud Home is unable to connect to my modem for Direct TV with AT&T internet/phone

I know this is a weird situation but please bear with me.

I have a My Cloud Home that can not connect to my modem/router(??) that is used to give service to Direct TV (satellite dish), AT&T internet and phone.

My husband has hooked it up to a small modem/router (??) in my laundry room that also wirelessly turns on our outside lighting system.

My Mac says it is there but it can’t communicate to it. He said I need to go into the laundry room to be closer. (And that would also wirelessly back up my desktop upstairs as well? I suspect not.)

Sadly I would like to use this to backup my Windows laptop and my Windows desktop computers as well. Am I doomed?

I do plan to get rid of the stupid Direct TV as soon as the contract is over. Until then, I do need to back up. In the interim, am I going to have to drag the My Cloud Home unit to each device and connect direct if it is not on a wireless network. Can you even do that?

Can I even back up Mac and Windows on the same WD device.

My son bought this for me as a gift. I think he is punishing me for grounding him as a child.

I have read that AT&T doesn’t support the WD My Cloud Home but I have read that you can buy a device to bridge the two and it works. But then I have the STUPID Direct TV.

I’ll take any help I can get. So far I have no backup on any of my machines.

Hello, BRENDA_FULLER

Well, you can use the My cloud home to back the data on it. Yes the AT&T router is not compatible with the My Cloud home as it does not have the capability to generate IP for the My cloud machine, In order to fix that issue I would recommend you to use SWITCH which can help to assign IP for the My Cloud.

If you face any issue or any hessel with the configuration of the device then you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this for live assistance and troubleshooting

To Contact WD for Technical Support

The link below will allow you to call support

I am not sure what “SWITCH” is?