My Cloud Home Duo disrupts normal file system access

I have recently installed the My Cloud Home Duo.

My intent is to duplicate “dropbox” functionality for myself and primarily my wife. She has all of our photos’s in a configuration such that she stores files by year month and day in named folders. There are about 130K files, 450MB. We both have Windows 10 systems.

The installation was as easy as advertised. I tested the system by "sync"ing a moderate size folder/files (80MB or so) and saw no problems with it. My wife registered as another user and again I tested the functionality on her system. Again no problems.

I began "sync"ing her photo directory. It was very slow, three days, but was successful. When the initial sync completed I checked some random files to verify that they had been backed up, and they had.

Now the problem: she was looking for a photo from a specific date to use in a display. She went to the folder containing the photo she wanted and the system seemed to freeze. She could see that the photo file existed but the thumbnail image was blank. She was looking for the photo on the local computer’s disk NOT on the My Cloud Duo’s device. Thinking the computer was dead she walked away and asked me to check it out. When I got to the computer some time later the thumbnail’s for the images had appeared and the system appeared to be alive and well.

I rebooted her computer and repeated what she had done (different folder and file) and got the same behaviour. The system appeared to dead. I started the task manager and saw that there were four processes (3 wdsync and one kdd) using 100% of the CPU and 60+% of the memory (kdd was using the majority of the memory). I also noted that there were many many svchost processes running.

Remember, there was no attempt to access the My Cloud Device, it appears that the file system driver (kdd I’m guessing) monitors all local disk accesses and checks for changes each time they’re accessed locally.

Can someone in the support staff give me an idea what is going on? My devices are attached in the manner described in your documentation.

PC<==>GB Switch<==>GB Router<==> My Cloud Duo.

“Sync” is not a backup and is probably the root cause of all of your problems.
If you delete a photo from the computer or the My Cloud Home, the DELETE ACTION will sync the change and delete the photo from the other location. Chances are that if you disable sync, you’ll get your CPU back :slightly_smiling_face: and save some network traffic.

Also, anything that you put in the User Private space gets crawled, indexed and a thumbnail generated which equates to disk I/O, high CPU and memory until the process completes.

I guess I used the wrong word when I said the files were “backed up”, the right term would have been replicated. I don’t expect to have backups with multiple versions of files. My hope and intent is to have a current copy of all files available in case her computer crashes.

The last item you mentioned about items placed in the User Private space is exactly the behaviour I anticipate. This is, I believe, what happened when I did the “sync from desktop” that took 3 days to complete.

The problem I encountered did not involve any modification or for that matter any access to any files at all. As I said, I used Windows 10’s file explorer to browse to the folder that contained an image file. That’s all, no file activity other than what was required to traverse the file system.

At this point the system seemed to freeze and I witnessed the processes with task manager as I described above.

Another point, just to clarify. I shutdown “My Cloud Duo” (actually shutdown PC, then MyCloud, then rebooted PC) and verified that the files were still present on the PC and everything appeared to be functioning normally. Again I restarted everything and witnessed the bad behaviour once more. In my mind this demonstrated that there was no damage to the file system on the PC.

One point I need to emphasize is that the issue I had occurred while browsing the local hard drive (C:) NOT the My Cloud Drive (Z:).

Looks like the Desktop Sync is causing high CPU usage. There are many threads about this issue in the community. Personally, I disabled the sync feature. WARNING that if you “UnSync”, you cannot sync to the same folder again. All the data will sync to a different folder so you’ll have two copies of the same data on your My Cloud Home.

Thanks for the info socallinux. Unfortunately for me, the sync function is the value I see in the WD My Cloud package.

Would someone in the WD Support group please respond to my issue?

PC<==>GB Switch<==>GB Router<==> WD<==>GB Router<==>My Cloud Duo.

You forgot from your router to WD and back using whatever your internet upstream/downstream speeds may be.