My cloud home desktop app?

Hi all…not very tech savvy…just brought a my cloud home 4tb drive… no instructions in the box. I have got my cloud home working… but cant get into the drive to alter the settings. Lokked at the videos by wd and looks like there is a desktop app on the older version…how do I get into the drive settings…

What settings are you trying to modify?

The My Cloud Home does not have a desktop app. there is WD discovery that can be installed and it will mount the my cloud home user space as a drive but you can’t modify any settings with it.

you can install the mobile app on an android or iOS device and there are a few settings in the mobile app that can be configured.

yep…got all of that ok youtube says there is setup software…that has desktop to remotely access the unit . at the moment the wd backup software that is linked from the menu wont recognise the drive…so i cant do a backup…

1 Like

also…i seem to have two different instances of the drive on the pc. one that is on the network and one that is on my pc list.

1 Like

that is correct. the my cloud home is not a traditional NAS. the drive mapped as z: drive is the private user space. this is not a traditional network share. the part you see under network is the default public SMB share for use with Windows file history. it can also be used for other apps or hardware that require a traditional SMB network share.

One thing here is that whatever is stored in the default public share cannot be seen in the private user space, mobile app, or web browser access.

In WD discovery the apps you see listed are not for the my cloud home product. WD backup for example is for their direct attached devices like the WD passport or My Book. It is confusing I agree but they don’t work with the My Cloud home.

To backup files you should now have a new option when you right click a file or folder. Sync to My Cloud Home. You can use that to sync a file or folder with the My Cloud home.

here is some info on the folder sync feature

If you want a traditional backup of your PC to the My cloud home you can use windows file history.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?h=p1&ID=20103&lang=en&p=1101

Taking advantage of what has been cleared in this tread; I will be very thankful if counseled on the following.
I have used GoogleDrive at my home/office for years. Because several computers sync simultaneously the same files, the process is causing too much internet traffic. I hope to help this situation with Mycloud Home.
The first thing I noticed testing Mycloud Home was that syncing a file just actualized, would not happen instantaneously or even within a few minutes, and I could not find a way to cause it, I mean saving a file saved in the Private space (of my desktop), expecting it to be actualized likewise in the Private space of another computer (my laptop).
Is there a form to improve the time response of the automatic sync service? Or, what´s the best I can expect from Mycloud Home about this?
And, another hope I have is to have Mycloud Home synchronize with GoogleDrive the files that it syncs with my home computers.
Is this possible?
Moreover, I hope to keep the capacity of syncing the same files in my laptop, while away, with GoogleDrive, or if this is not possible, have them sync through an internet connection with Mycloud Home.
Is this possible?

1 Like

You’re lucky I can’t see the Network files at all.