My Cloud Firmware 2.21.111 (7/25/16) Discussion

What is the current version of your firmware?

RAC

Again, there are two different versions of the single bay My Cloud devices now, that while they share the same name use DIFFERENT firmware. The older version (gen 1) that uses the v3.x and v4.x firmware with the DEB extension. The older version My Cloud’s CANNOT currently be upgraded using the v2.x firmware BIN file. The newer version (gen 2) uses the v2.x firmware with the BIN extension. One cannot flash the newer version with the older v3.x/v4.x firmware. Blame WD for this stupid confusion.

If you always used firmware with a “DEB” extension then chances are you are using the OLDER generation 1 single bay My Cloud device. The current latest firmware for the older generation 1 single bay My Cloud is 04.04.03-113 that was released on 5/23/2016.

Apparently, it’s v4! Another case of looking but not seeing!! I’ll bet that v2 didn’t have six firmware updates either? When did gen 2 or v2 come out?

There are a total of five v2.x firmware update files including the initial firmware release file right now per the release notes for v2.x firmware. The v2.x release notes further indicate the initial firmware release was 2.10.302 ad was issued on 10/7/2015.

Edit to add: The firmware version for the single bay My Clouds are listed on the Home Dashboard page under Firmware in addition to being listed under the Dashboard > Settings > Firmware > Available Updates section.

Yeah I see that now, don’t know how I missed it right there. Too much multitasking home projects on my mind.

Tech Support’s answer was that one can use either a “DEB” or “BIN” both work without even asking if I had v2 or v4. So is that untrained Tech Support?

Probably. Normally the first line of tech support often is just reading from a prepared list of answers to common questions or from a flow chart type sheet. Its not surprising to find out that some (many?) don’t even go hands on with the very products they’re providing customer support for other than a quick intro training class.

I know for a fact that I cannot flash a v4.x My Cloud with v2.x firmware, because for giggles I tried it when WD first released the v2.x firmware. :laughing:

Well, their answer was either works! What did it do?

The only time I ever used a BIN file was to format a USB flash drive using Win32DiskImager program and this was used along with another file to exploit the first generation Google Chromecast dongle to become Flashcast of which I have two.

When trying to flash My_Cloud_GLCR_2.21.111.bin to a v04.04.03-113 single by My Cloud I get the following error message immediately after clicking on the Install and Reboot button:

<shakes head in despair>

Maybe I should take that call with their ‘Customer Relations Manager’…