My Cloud EX2 Ultra 2.30.165

Hi Guys,

Lets have the discussion and feedback on this new firmware. Its been 3.5 months since the last update. But still few apps outdated version have no effect. But overall some good line items on upgrading needed changes to the UI and others.
WD_My_Cloud_EX2_Ultra_Firmware_Release_Notes_2.30.165.pdf (220.1 KB)

Mycloud Ex2 Ultra 2.30.165

Keep posting on queries and share feedback on this after update.

What’s new!

Redesigned MyCloud App Store to include native and 3rd party apps for better user experience.
Enhanced dashboard to fit all top menu items on one screen without scroll bar.
Enhanced SMB server (samba) to support Apple Time Machine protocol extensions.
Enhanced SMB server (samba) to operate using SMB-3 protocol by default.
Resolved critical security vulnerabilities.
Improved MyCloud Cloud connectivity across MyCloud web, mobile & client apps.
Improved efficiency of internal MyCloud flash.
Improved directory browsing latency over AFP when device wakes up from standby.
Improved latency of displaying thumbnails on mobile & web app.
Added analytics for network connection configuration.
Resolved issue where analytics logs were not updated as expected.
Enhanced UPnP support to pass updated UPnP certification tests
Resolved issue of unable to connect macOS Sierra (v10.12) ssh client.
Resolved issue where extra shares were created on system restore.
Updated native Elephant Drive app to v3.0.24.
Elephant Drive & Amazon S3 can now be updated without updating firmware via App Store.
Improved dashboard network graph's X-Axis to be at least 125 MB/s.

Manually Updating the firmware on your My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Important: Make sure you stop all processes and save all your data before performing the firmware update.

Note: My Cloud devices require a hard drive inserted into the bay and a volume must be created to perform the firmware update.
Do not interrupt the firmware upgrade process. Doing so may cause the device to malfunction or unable to boot.
If you are using the manual update method, do not rename the firmware file. Doing so will cause the manual update to fail and can corrupt the system. Updating the firmware on your My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Download the firmware to your desktop.
Unzip the file and you will find the actual firmware in this format: My_Cloud_BVBZ_2.11.xx.bin
Save this to your desktop.
Open the My Cloud EX2 Ultra Dashboard UI.
Go to Settings >> Firmware Update.
Under the section Manual Update, click the Update From File button and a window will open.
Browse to where you saved the My_Cloud_BVBZ_2.11.xx.bin file and select it.
You will see a pop up confirming to upgrade your firmware, click Ok.

@DirtyMacho
Have you already updated your device?? Does it work properly so far?

yes the best part is i was not @ home. But i did upgrade it through remote Dashboard management.

It was ease. It downloaded just under 10 sec as i had 100Mbps line. But the upgrade process % was not shown as progressing. Since the UI was set as 5 minutes timeout due to the system doesnt allow multiple logins. I was logged out of the UI after 5 minutes and while trying to login it was notified as system rebooting

Whoola it was rebooted without any issue and all the settings are intact.

Few changes i noted as per changelog .

No more scrolling right for settings.
No more scrolling for apps downside

Yes revamped APP sections. But still very lack of apps.

Installed apps may not be upgraded. So now they allow us to upgrade the amazon S3 and elephat drive as manual app package.

here is the screen of the same.

Above are the few of changelog changes i found to be good .

But still FTP application is broken. I cant login are download a ftp server file Job. Its not fullfledged ftp client yet. All one want is Download manger which can add accounts and just add the link to file which it should use the stored credentials to download.

Thanks a lot for your detailed input! At least it doesn`t seem to get broken anything additionally :sunglasses: - and it works without complaints. Whether the vulnarability issues are fixed - we will see…

it says in the Change log. Which was major release for the 1st Gen ex2 series.

Resolved critical security vulnerabilities.

I am wondering was there any analytic log earlier. I dont know is that some kind of Network statistics.

Added analytics for network connection configuration.
Resolved issue where analytics logs were not updated as expected.

It seems the P2P app is still Transmission 2.77 not 2.9x newer.

I dont know if this can be upgraded. as no option for the same. But the actual transmission app is not working remotely. It might work but you might need rules and portforwarding as well like accessing the ui remotely with different port.

No idea what they mean with it… did the update meanwhile, but can`t find anything new in this matter…

Will we have the same update for EX2 (non ultra) ???

There is already a separate one for the (non Ultra)…

No, it’s an older version without the new functionality…

It little awkward. I never had a speed below 90MB/s of both read and write. But after the first reboot the speed drastically reduced to 70-79MB/s

I tried copying the same to all my internal and SSD still same speed.

Something missing. Can you guys check the same and share your feedback. The purpose of have 130 as top is getting wasted here.

Now i get it for the slow speed. I was close to 400 gig free out of 1.8tb . So it getting slower. Now when i freed up 300 gig. I got the speed now. Now its 800+ gig . The speed back rocking 110+MB/s

Hi,

Not sure if this package works on Ex2 ULTRA. I can confirm it works perfect on EX2:

1 Like

It didn’t work on ultra

this new update refreshes UI faster than before. But still the UI Home page takes time to load the pie chart. Is there any change or customization to that chart will be welcomed.

There seems to be a vpn process in the diagnotic window. But where is the option to change or set. Does this belongs to connection relay setting which enabled cloud access.

Hi all and please pardon me if I do not sound too technical, I am a novice as regards the use of NAS.

I didn’t even realize the firmware updated itself (on April 8 at 7 AM local time) because the operation was totally automatic and completed successfully (but the alert was not flagged on the dashboard, as it should have been, IMHO).

Although the copy operations have improved in speed and there are more apps to choose from, the internet connection is affected somewhat by the NAS, even when it is not doing anything.

I have a fiberoptic internet connection (FTTH) and the NAS is connected to the router via ethernet. The download and upload speeds were 94.3 Mbps and 47.6 Mbps, respectively, before the update and with the NAS switched on and idle. Now, when the NAS is switched on and idle, those speeds are 93.9 and 47.2.

If I reboot the device, the speeds revert to normal, only to degrade when the NAS has been on for a few minutes.

I also notice more RAM and CPU activity going on, for no particular reason (since, again, this problem occurs when the device is idle).

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

I dont understand. The speed is hardly changed say 1-1.5Mbps on overall

You said 94.3 to 93.9 and 47.6 to 47.2. is this not a mild variation. Not even 1%.

Can you be specific on what is the actual issue. One point to note is that if you had set say Dropbox account. It might be more active.

Hi DirtyMacho.

Yes, I know the speed loss seems to be barely noticeable and I might look too fussy, but the problem of this very slight loss did not occur before the update, so I supposed it might be related to it. In addition, it tends to get worse over time and I have to reboot the machine every now and then because of this.

No, there are no backups with Dropbox or other outside backups going on. The machine is idle when the problem occurs.

Mind you, I am not complaining, I am just asking if anyone else is noticing the same variation in internet speed after the update.