My Cloud Ex 2100 vs DL2100

I am interested in buying the My cloud Ex or DL 2100 8 Tb but I need some additional information to guide my final decision.

1. Why is the My Cloud Ex 2100 with the Marvell® ARMADA® 385 1.3 GHz dual-core CPU getting speeds of  116 Mb/sec and 114 Mb/sec for reading and writing respectively while the DL 2100 with a 1.7 GHz Intel Atom C2350 CPU is getting 115 Mb/sec and 101 Mb/sec for reading and writing according to the WD promo.

2. What if they were both tested in the raid 1 mode with the encryption function turned on would there be a significant speed difference in favour of the Ex 2100?

3. What if in addition to the above several user (2-3) were streaming video at the same time would there be a significant difference in performance in favour of the Ex2100?

CFDuck wrote:

1. Why is the My Cloud Ex 2100 with the Marvell® ARMADA® 385 1.3 GHz dual-core CPU getting speeds of  116 Mb/sec and 114 Mb/sec for reading and writing respectively while the DL 2100 with a 1.7 GHz Intel Atom C2350 CPU is getting 115 Mb/sec and 101 Mb/sec for reading and writing according to the WD promo.

I’m pretty sure that should read MB/sec, not Mb/sec?

Where is this promo to which you refer?

Thanks for the correction

The Promo for the Ex 2100 :- http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1470

— >Features → Overview

The promo for the DL 2100 :- http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1440

— >Features → Overview

Good question, since one would assume the more expensive unit would at least match the other in MB/sec trabsfer speeds  Perhaps that is not as significant as one might assume, and the Intel processor speed makes up for this diff in speed of actually computing faster.

This might be a good question for you to ask WD about. 

I do know I have reached a peak of 100MB/sec transferring a lot of video files from a hard drive connected to a Win 8 fast PC to the DL2100 via the gigabit home network.  Avg speed was more like in the high 80’s MB/sec range. I will also add that my videos stream even better from the DL2100, and any remaining (minor) perfprmance issues stem from the device being streamed to ( iPad, Kindle HD)  AND the app used to view. For mobile device video streaming always use 5G (or better) if possible.  I would say either the EX or DL series performs faster than anything we have at home hooking up with them.

A very informative review was done on the WD My Cloud Ex 2100 vs DL 2100.

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/6010/wd-my-cloud-ex2100-en-my-cloud-dl2100-review

The article when translated (can be done using google) concluded with supporting data, that in the speed test the Ex 2100 outperformed the DL 2100.

My questions to WD / other users - :

1. In the encryption mode will the Ex 2100 still outperform the DL 2100 in the speed test ?
  2. In the encryption mode using Raid 1 will the Ex 2100 still outperform the DL 2100 in the speed test?

The answers to the above questions will help a great deal in deciding whether to get the Ex 2100 or DL 2100