My Cloud + DVR

How do I manually register a DVR?, .

Huh?

noeyedeer1 wrote:

How do I manually register a DVR?, .

“Mannually register a DVR” to do what… exactly?

I have a 4TB WD My Cloud & I have 2 PC’s set up o/k with cloud access + Ipad also showing cloud access, PC’s connected via e-mail sent & a code for I-pad, but I have a CCTV DVR that I can neither send a e-mail to or activate a code. they all have full user & share access & port forward is established.

is the DVR on the same LAN with the mycloud? or remote? if remote you are probalby stuck

can the DVR wright to LAN drives? What type? if it can write to LAN drives this should work.

what OS is the DVR running? Do you have access to the OS?

As described in your previous post:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/My-Cloud-amp-CCTV/m-p/877566#M34968

…you’ll need to access the My Cloud via SMB or NFS.

It’s very unlikely you’ll be able to use Cloud access from a CCTV DVR…

noeyedeer1 wrote:

…I have a CCTV DVR that I can neither send a e-mail to or activate a code.

Your CCTV DVR will need to be capable of accessing network attached storage on the local network and or be capable of accessing mapped network drives on the DVR’s OS. The email activation and or the activation code option of the WD My Cloud Dashboard interface are intended for use with the WD My Cloud Desktop app, the WD My Cloud mobile apps and the WD Photos app, along with the WD2Go.com (currently undergoing maintenance) website site.

Check the documentation or manufacturer website for your CCTV DVR to see what capabilities it has for accessing (I assume you want to use the WD My Cloud for additional video recording storage) network attached storage or mapped network drives.

Thanks Bennor for your reply,

yes it has NAS/FTP access, it asks for Server IP(I assume my BT network server) User name & password(are these to the network server or WD Mycloud?) port, file size & remote path.

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Since you didn’t answer larryg0’s question, I’m still unsure what you want to do.

Are you wanting to send data to your MyCloud from a remote location? i.e. outside your local network?

Or are your DVR and MyCloud located on the same local network? If you are connecting locally, you won’t need the access code stuff; you’ll just need to connect to the file server using a suitable protocol.

it asks for Server IP(I assume my BT network server) User name & password(are these to the network server or WD Mycloud?)

If you are connecting on a local network, the IP should be the IP of your MyCloud, and username and password for the User on the MyCloud.  I guess…

port

Depends on the protocol it’s using to connect to the MyCloud, I guess… (or see remote path below).

file size

Hmm… no idea

remote path.

This suggests it can try to use remote access, in which case, you would need to specify the global IP of your router (tricky, as, if you’re using BT or other ISP, this is likely to change every time your router reboots).  You’d also need to muck about with your router firewall to direct accesses on a specified port to a specified port on the MyCloud. There are potential security issues with this.

noeyedeer1 wrote:

yes it has NAS/FTP access, it asks for Server IP(I assume my BT network server) User name & password(are these to the network server or WD Mycloud?) port, file size & remote path.

Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Without knowing anything about the DVR, I assume you want the DVR to save content to the WD My Cloud. And that both devices are located on the same local network (ie not trying to connect to the WD MY Cloud remotely from an offsite location). If this is the case then you can either try to access the NAS via its IP address and share folder path (which may be the remote path you mention), or you can enable FTP access on the WD My Cloud Dashboard then configure the DVR to upload the content via FTP. Generally the FTP port is 21.

Thanks for the reply Bennor,

yes I want the DVR to save content to the WD My Cloud. And  both devices are located on the same local network,I have enabled FTP access on the WD My Cloud Dashboard.

Is it my BT network server, user name & password I enter or the WD My cloud details? 

noeyedeer1 wrote:

yes I want the DVR to save content to the WD My Cloud. And  both devices are located on the same local network,I have enabled FTP access on the WD My Cloud Dashboard.

Is it my BT network server, user name & password I enter or the WD My cloud details? 

For anyone or any device to access a private Share on the WD My Cloud they generally have to use a user name and password that was created via the WD My Cloud Dashboard user interface. As such if you want to have the DVR saving content to a private Share on the WD My Cloud, then you have to use a User name and its associated password you created through the WD My Cloud Dashboard. If the DVR is saving to a public Share on the WD My Cloud then you shoulnd’t need to enter in a user name or password to access a public Share on the WD My Cloud.

Thanks Bennor for all your help, I was having so many problems with it that when WD withdrew the WD2go facility that was the final straw so I have returned the My Cloud back to the suppliers.