My Cloud, disk full

Hi, I’m new to the forum so please bare with me. I installed my first My Cloud device in April this year. After 5 months I finally succeeded to get is working with help from WD support, after which I don’t want to rush back to them.

Now I have a problem with the disk saying it’s full and the red light is permanently on.

This appears to have coincided with a firmware upgrade although I can’t be sure the two are connected.

Of my 4T bytes, I know I have less that half a TB in use by my files however, under “other” I have 3.5TB filling the disk.

I have looked and looked but cannot understand why or what to do to fix it. I am nervous of re-formatting or starting again as I don’t want to lose my data. I noticed under “photos”, there are loads of pictures that appear to have been picked out of my documents, which I hadn’t noticed previously. I’ve deleted a whole load of files in case this was relevant but has made no change.

If I assume the firmware upgrade is related to the cause, can anyone help suggest what to do to clear the disk full issue? Many thanks.

Do you have WD Sync running?

This creates multiple copies of files.

If you can access that Dashboard, are there any alerts? (See the alarm bell in the top right corner).

You might try the simple 4-second reset; firmware upgrades do seem to have a habit of leaving the device in a confused state. The 4-second reset is the first port of call. If will clear the admin password and revert to DHCP, but leave usernames and data untouched.

Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I do have WD Sync running.

I’ll look at the dashboard when I get home, I’m sure there were alerts but I recall it simply said “disk full”.

I did a power off/on cycle hoping it would reset but no change. I’ll try the 4 second reset button when I get home.

Many thanks.

Hi, I did the 4 second reset, the My Cloud flashed its blue light for a while but when I looked this morning it’s reverted back to solid red. I didn’t have my local PC fired up so there was no interaction with the PC I sync with.

When I log in from my office PC remotely this morning I see the disk is still showing full. Is it best I just disable the sync tool and reformat the disk?

As an FYI, AFAIK the single bay My Cloud doesn’t have the recycle bin option that the multi bay units have.