My Cloud disconnects while streaming video

The Twonky ‘Media Receiver Type’ is set to ‘Samsung Smart TV’.

Is there just one Samsung Smart TV on the market…?  No; there are lots, of different generations. And I don’t expect for a moment that they all have consistent firmware or protocol or media type support. ‘Smart TV’ is a very fast-moving consumer market. So that setting might suit your particular model, or it might not, or it might provide partial support.*

I have previously used DLNA servers on a MacBook that never had connectivity issues with the same TV so the signs are pointing to something on the My Cloud. 

Okay. That’s another data point we didn’t have…

It’s also possible that the other DLNA server on the MacBook was doing on-the-fly format transcoding, from one format to another format that your TV could use. The processors in most NAS devices are not really up to this compute-intensive task.

We’re not saying that the MyCloud is perfect (it’s far from it), or that the fault definitely lies with the Samsung. But they are what they are, and you may have to accept that the combination cannot do what you want.

You might also have a look at the discussion about adding media types to Twonky, on this page of the Twonky FAQ. I posted some links to pages that appear to be interesting discussions on how to get Twonky to best support a particular DLNA client, by manipulating the media type definitions in the media receiver type definition files.

* I’m currently trying to find out from Sony exactly what the purpose of the fully-functional Ethernet port is on the back of my new TV. It has an Ethernet port. I has a MAC address. It will connect to my router and negotiate an IP address from the router’s DHCP server. But, beyond that,  there is no information in the manual as to the purpose of this network connection… Sony support don’t seem to know… They’ve just asked me to photograph the rear label and the network port. I don’t think they believe me…