My Cloud Deleted the Wrong Share Folder

I just got a WD My Cloud and set it up. I copied all my pictures over to a share folder (Svenn). I then deleted a different share folder (Public) via the local web page (I double checked to make sure I was deleting the right one). I went to access my files (on Svenn) to find that the web client deleted the wrong folder (Public still existed, but Svenn did not). I re-created the folder (Svenn) and now it says that folder is 1.2GB in size, but it appears empty. How can I get access to my files?

Alternately, is there any way to access the root of the drive directly to see all of the files on the drive?

@ Svenn

You should NOT delete the Public Folder. THis is integrated in the system. Now you have to reset it.

Check the manual how to do that. Then start afresh.

The Public Folder wasn’t deleted. It gave me an error that I can’t delete it. Instead it deleted the new share folder that I made (Svenn) and had put all of my backups in. All of the other share folders are still there and working, but unfortunately this share was the one that had pretty much everything I wanted to backup in it.

The weird thing is that when I recreated the folder the web client tells me that the folder is 1.2GB in size. However, the folder is empty. The main capacity page shows 1.3 GB of “Other” data now as well, so it still seems to think the data is there somewhere…

@ Svenn,

Yes the Data is still there. You said you have recreated it, but if you delete that Svenn folder again, does that help ?

Otherwise do a reset 40 Second one with the paperclip in the back and put the power on simultaneously and start again and see if the folder is restored with the content. Then if not, you shall have to try with a factory reset. This takes some time.

THere are some folders that are standard in the system. They don’t do harm if they are empty and if you have set priveledges on it, nobody can access any folder/share than the Public one. That is the reason. Not sure why you want to delete it ? Any computer also has a public folder. Just don’t put sensitive things in it.

Public folders are usally part of the system. It could be that because you tried to delete it, it affected this particular folder and that is clear to me. It could be you affected the security settings with it. Like R/W/A/S, Read, Write, Archive, System.

How many users do you have created ? 

You can try if your delete the user as well that the folder that is linked to it will be delete with the content. I have not tried that scenario.

Deleting the Svenn folder didn’t help.

I did a System Only reset and it didn’t bring back the folder or it’s contents. Factory reset says it deletes everything, so that’s not going to bring back my lost content…

I have 2 users created. Doing the system reset cleared the users and I had to recreate them.

Pacific_Dollars wrote:

@ Svenn,

Not sure why you want to delete it ? Any computer also has a public folder. Just don’t put sensitive things in it.

Why should he not be able to delete it. It’s his device after all. Why should he have to expose ANYTHING about it that he doesn’t want to. A public folder invites others to save junk to it. Not having one available means no need to constantly check it and clean it out.

It isn’t that he shouldn’t like in the word Shouldn’t because he doesn’t have the right to… but in the way shouldn’t in be careful of doing that because WD may have hard coded the word Public in their code.

WD has somehow coded their programs around the Share name called “Public” as you can tell when you try to rename it, delete it, or even try to make it private. WD forbids it.

However, there is a bug that we can utilized. I discovered it by accident one time because I tried to rename the Public share and when it disallowed me to…  I discovered that you can now turn off Public Access to make it private.

Optionally, if you want to SSH into the device, you now have full root access to all your shares. Here you can discover that you can move, delete and even change ownership of your shares.

They are all under /shares, even the notorious /shares/Public of which if someone wishes, they can go ahead and be vicious and take control of their WD device by deleting /shares/Public. Please come back and post up on the side effects, if any.

Now back to the original OP, you can check if there are any hidden shares by SSH into the device and looking into /shares

to see if there are any leftover shares.

Use ls to see…

ls

good luck

I managed to SSH into it, but the files weren’t anywhere to be found. I tried looking all around in the shares folders as well as doing a “find” but both were unsuccessful. :frowning:

Ralphael wrote:

It isn’t that he shouldn’t like in the word Shouldn’t because he doesn’t have the right to… but in the way shouldn’t in be careful of doing that because WD may have hard coded the word Public in their code.

WD has somehow coded their programs around the Share name called “Public” as you can tell when you try to rename it, delete it, or even try to make it private. WD forbids it.

However, there is a bug that we can utilized. I discovered it by accident one time because I tried to rename the Public share and when it disallowed me to…  I discovered that you can now turn off Public Access to make it private.

Optionally, if you want to SSH into the device, you now have full root access to all your shares. Here you can discover that you can move, delete and even change ownership of your shares.

They are all under /shares, even the notorious /shares/Public of which if someone wishes, they can go ahead and be vicious and take control of their WD device by deleting /shares/Public. Please come back and post up on the side effects, if any.

Now back to the original OP, you can check if there are any hidden shares by SSH into the device and looking into /shares

to see if there are any leftover shares.

Use ls to see…

ls

good luck

What that tells me is that the coders were incompetent and screwed up the code — a fact that is illustrated over and over in this forum and in my own experience with this product.

Nobody puts junk in it, if you don’t invite people in it. And if it bothers then write small dos script with the content

echo ON
Del \mycloud\directory\*.*. /s
Echo OFF

I agree with Ralphael.

Ralphael wrote:

Speaks for it selves.

Takes a few seconds and you can place it on your desktop as a batch file and click on it. Or place it as a link in the startup.

Geez !

Pacific_Dollars wrote:
Nobody puts junk in it, if you don’t invite people in it. And if it bothers then write small dos script with the content

echo ON
Del \mycloud\directory\*.*. /s
Echo OFF

I agree with Ralphael.

Ralphael wrote:

Speaks for it selves.

Takes a few seconds and you can place it on your desktop as a batch file and click on it. Or place it as a link in the startup.

Geez !

So, you advocate correcting one bit of incorrect coding with another?