My cloud crashes

I know my tittle is a bit vague, let me elaborate. A couple of years ago , I purchased and installed a MY Cloud 2g in my home on a home network. I neglected to use it until lately when I discovered that, 1) I can only access it from it’s internet address and not from the desktop icons. 2) The only icon that links to the "dashboard " ,opens up then wants me to download an update#1.0.7.17. This opens up a windows box that’s wants to know where to download to. I select the desktop and almost immediately the box freezes and I must stop the task in Task Manager.

Should I Reset or Restore . ? or is something else going on

If you don’t have any data that you need on it, you could do a full restore. But that wipes out any data and any setting you have, bringing the drive back to the out of the box condition.

Now, based on the firmware you’re talking about, it looks like you might have a multi-bay My Cloud. Which My Cloud do you have, specifically?

“If you don’t have any data that you need on it, you could do a full restore. But that wipes out any data and any setting you have, bringing the drive back to the out of the box condition” I don’t want to lose any of the data I have on their already. Will a reset save the data and restore the program so I can install the update?

Now, based on the firmware you’re talking about, it looks like you might have a multi-bay My Cloud. Which My Cloud do you have, specifically.
I have a MY Cloud Personal Storage Cloud 2TB ( not 2G)

Are you sure the upgrade isn’t for one of the PC-based apps, rather than the MyCloud firmware?

That would explain why you get a Windows dialogue asking where to install (?) it.

If the app upgrade isn’t working, I’d manually uninstall it, and then download the latest version from WD’s website, and install it.

I’ll also point out that you don’t need any WD software installed on a PC to access a local network MyCloud. Just map shares as Windows network drives, and use them like any local disk drive. Use the browser-based Dashboard user interface to control it.