My Cloud Auto Backup for Photos on iPhone ios needs to run in the background

I believe I understand your issue, so I have some comments and suggestions for you.

First of all, there are issues backing up with iOS devices; the issue is supposedly not present with Android devices. See this earlier post of mine if you have not seen it recently:

So, as you read, auto lock of iOS device needs to be set to Never if one has a lot of photos/videos to back up initially, Subsequent backups do not usually require a Never setting (Auto lock on my devices is usually set to 3 minutes after my initial backup with My Cloud if I only have a few new files each time. (If in doubt of having enough time, I just reset to Never for the duration of the upload.)

Also, it appears the My Cloud app does not continue to look for new files to upload when it is running. It only looks for and uploads if and when the app is fired up from being completely closed. This is good, because leaving the My Cloud app (or any app that uploads) running in background just uses up battery needlessly. Best practice is only have the app on when using it.

The My Cloud device is not a “true” Cloud like online-only virtual clouds such as Dropbox, Pogoplug, etc. With My Cloud, it is a physical drive unit on your network you can access from within and outside of your network, but that is where the similarity with virtual clouds ends – it is based on a physical NAS in your home and not “in the clouds” per se…

I have no issues using My Cloud app to backup my Camera Roll other than the files in the Camera Roll always start showing the oldest files instead of the latest files (just as the actual Camera Roll does). I wish it would show latest files first.

I also LIKE the fact that the My Cloud does not upload until I want it to, i.e. when I turn on the app. I also have a second backup procedure with a real virtual cloud called Pogoplug Cloud. If the PP app is left on in the background, it will upload media files as they are added to Camera Roll. Well, I don’t like that feature as sometimes I do not want it to happen. So, like I do with My Cloud app, I keep it off when I am not using it, and turn in on if near a decent wireless signal I can connect to (like at home) the uploading goes smoother and faster on my own network, or one almost as fast as mine. Some remote wireless signals are often pretty poor quality.

Working this for myself, is a no brainer, but getting a whole family on board could be problematic. Since it is only my wife and I uploading to the My Cloud, I periodically ask her to give me her iPhone and to update to My Cloud, I look in the stored files we have, notice the last one, go into My Cloud app to the folder we upload into and go to the end of the Camera Roll to find the latest files NOT yet uploaded and upload them. Yes, a bit of a hassle, but because of how I have set up different folders for our separate devices, this is what I must do.to “stay organized” with this task.

Hope this helps.