My Cloud app question

I just bought my dad a WD My Cloud to put all his old cds on. I have loaded up the cds and told him to install the wd my cloud app. The issue is: My father has an Iphone 4 and the app only works on phones with IOS 8 or higher. Is my dad pretty much out of luck with trying to listen to his songs on the go or is there a way I can set it up?

Maybe; maybe not.
Question: when you say “on the go”, do you mean remotely, like away from home network via internet? Or maybe, just around the house?

Question: Is the router used to host the My Cloud an Asus router, because if so it has an app for accessing devices remotely (such as the My Cloud device). Or, does the host router (if not an Asus) have such an app?

Above question was a shot in the dark, but worth trying.

Aside from my Asus router app, and the My Cloud app; two apps I use that can connect locally and remotely, I only use one other app that can be set up to work remotely, although I have never set it up to do so (because I don’t need to) but perhaps you do!

The app is one of my favorites I use around the house and it is called FileBrowser. The company that makes is here: http://www.stratospherix.com/

This is a quality app I have used for years on iPhone/iPad for music, videos and photos. It is not one of those crippled free apps that cost more to upgrade it. FB costs $6, but it is complete and continually upgraded. It is worth the asking price; maybe more.

I suggest you contact their support via email. I have, and they have always responded quickly. You need to tell them about the iPhone 4 issue and ask, if the current version will not install, can you get an older version to install, and also can the older app still be set up to work with remote access.

A little homework on your part could have a nice payoff for your dad.
(Hmmm, maybe it’s time for him to upgrade his phone, too.)

Good luck.

the problem using the router is that if the ip isnt static and you need to access to the router you must know the ip which changes ramdomly. wd my cloud app is discussing with wd’s server and hence knows the ip all the time.

local access is easy but the remote access is the problem. maybe you can use plex as a mediaserver for music and use the remote access via it. but i quess you need the plex pass which is quite pricey?

can you stream from dropbox? i dont use it, so i dont know… but you can sync files between wd nas and dropbox. and then maybe stream from there?

Yes when I say “on the go” I mean using his internet away from home.
I will try to contact those guys and see if that will help. It’s definitely time for my dad to get a new phone.

I’m going try out Dropbox and see if that will work.

AFAIK, Dropbox is storage, not an app to play media. Anyway, you have storage on the My Cloud. You just need to access it.

We have old (retired) iPhones and iPad with older version of FileBrowser on it. It still works, but updating app has stopped with older iOS still on the devices.

Now that newer iPhones are out, the previous model is likely less than newer ones. I once bought a brand new iPad (gen 3) right after the newer model was released from a major Amazon seller and saved over $100 what Apple was charging for same model. You might get a deal for your dad this way. Good luck.

maybe this helps

https://www.dropbox.com/help/83