My Cloud App For OSX 'Select all not working'

Hi

Has anyone else noticed that you can not select all in the My Cloud App 1.0.7.4 for OSX using the ‘edit menu’ then ‘select all’ and CMD A key combo also doesn’t work?
I have tried reinstalling the app but that has not solved the problem.

This is an issue for me when I want to view all pictures in a folder.

If this is local to your network, stop messing about with the MyCloud app, and just map the drive into the file system, and use Finder for all file operations.

MyCloud app is really only useful for remote operations, IMHO, or if you need to do bulk data moves within the drive (in which case, if you can’t select all, it’s a bit limited…).

Thank you for your response cpt_paranoia.

The reason for using the app is that I find mapped shares painfully slow, if you are not having this issue can you please offer some tips maybe I’m missing something?
My OS is OS X El Capitan 10.11.2.
My Cloud Firmware version 04.04.01-112.
Virgin Media Superhub 2 in modem mode.
Apple Airport Extreme (I have set a DHCP reservation for My Cloud)
My Cloud network mode is static and I have turned off media streaming and iTunes server.

Thanks

Sorry, I don’t use an Apple;PCs Android and iPad only here. And they run as fast as my network will allow.

Hopefully, one of the Mac users will respond.

What protocol have you used when mapping the drive? AFP? SMB?

That might be (in part) your problem. El Capitan has problems with the My Cloud. See the following thread for more information.

https://community.wd.com/t/support-os-x-el-capitan/96744

Hi cpt_paranoia

I have tried both and they seem to give similar access speeds which are frustratingly slow.
I have spent a lot of time reading through forums and going around in circles it appears to be a known issue between OSX Finder and My Cloud hence trying the limited app as a last resort only to discover that “select all” is not working, it’s making me think perhaps I should ditch My Cloud for some other nas which I don’t really want to do because at the moment I only want to use My Cloud for photo storage, file storage and Time Machine.

Hi Bennor

I read through that thread last night and it made for interesting reading.
Would you suggest reinstalling Yosemite or earlier or can you think of anything else that may help me?

Thanks

Unknown if rolling back to a prior version of OS X would solve the issue. You should at the very least uninstall and reinstall the My Cloud program, if you haven’t done so already, to see if that clears up the issue.

Hi

I have chosen to clean install El Capitan 10.11.2 and not install any WD software.
I have mapped the shares which seems to have made a difference, I will keep an eye on this for the next couple of days and report back.

Can anyone tell me if there is a recommended limit to the number of pictures that should be placed in a folder?

Thanks

Is it only MyCloud access that’s slow?

I ask because I’ve seen reports of Macs not using a connected Ethernet, insisting on using WiFi.

But even good 11n or later WiFi ought to get a respectable transfer rate…

Hi

Access is not too slow it is too slow showing thumbnails of pictures and contents of the folders within the shares.
I think some but not all of my issues maybe user error which is why I edited my last post, I think I may have too many pictures per folder is there a limit?

My OS is OS X El Capitan 10.11.2.
My Cloud Firmware version 04.04.01-112.
Virgin Media Superhub 2 in modem mode.
Apple Airport Extreme (I have set a DHCP reservation for My Cloud)
My Cloud network mode is static and I have turned off media streaming and iTunes server.

I am using WIFI

I take back my user error statement above I think its a finder issue.
I will borrow a Windows laptop tomorrow and see how that performs against my Mac.

I have tested my Mid 2015 MacBook Pro Retina against an old work Asus A53U running Windows 10.
The test was over wifi on both machines, much to my surprise the Asus was much much faster at opening folders and populating image thumb nails. The difference was like night and day between the two machines, so I conclude that my issues are with OS X El Capitan being incompatible with My Cloud. Can anyone suggest a workaround to make using My Cloud with OS X bearable???

I seem to have solved my issue with Finder, Finder is now performing better when drive mapping is done as follows:
Click ‘Finder’ then ‘Go’ or hold down ‘CMD’ then press ‘k’
Enter the server address in the same format as the following example:
afp://WDMyCloud._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Pictures.
Then click connect.
This is all I have changed this evening and now My Cloud is working much much better.

I hope this helps anyone else who is struggling with My Cloud and OSX Finder.