My Cloud App can't connect to MPW (anymore)

As i said, i tested it on another colleagues iPhone and it did not work either. So it’s not a unique issue.

I am afraid you just don’t “get it”. NOBODY’S iPhone will work with your MPW; not yours, your friend’s, nor mine, because you have not completed the iPhone setup (as described in the manual) for the MPW, and until this is done, you are stuck Therefore, you DO have a unique issue. It is not because of any software, firmware, or app version, or hardware conflict issue – it is because you have not, will not, or cannot, complete the dam setup. Got it, now? Go get assistance from WD, like I suggested. You are their customer, not mine. Don’t get off the phome with them until you have this all working. That is your only recourse, especially since you only want to disagree with me at this point.

My devices work together and yours don’t; that has to indicate something significant to you. I wish you well.

I did complete the

as you call it.(if you mean the iOS/Android section in the manual) Otherwise please give me a hint for the correct page in the manual. In my manual, the word iPhone does not even exist so i am not sure what you mean by iPhone set.
I went through all the stuff in the manual and nothing fixed my problem. Also i don’t see how i would be able to set the MPW up correctly for Android but not for iPhone because the manual that i have does not differentiate between the two.

And i am very glad that your devices work together, mine did as well out of the box. Somehow i was trying to get help here because after the factory reset/ firmware upgrade they stopped working together with the app. But all i get is somebody listing(incorrectly) steps from the manual that i already did multiple times.

If you have some advice i would really appreciate it as well. But if you vaguely list the steps, they look like i did them already. For example:

I did that. At least if you mean the steps under “Using WD My Cloud App on a Mobile Device” in the manual when you say “THEN YOU CAN COMPLETE SETTING UP YOUR PHONE TO USE THE MPW AS DESCRIBED IN THE MANUAL”

By the way, i use this manual

The word “set” was a typo. it should read “iPhone setup” and i have fixed that in my post.

Regarding the manual reference, I mentioned this WAY up above early in the post, I wrote:

follow the instructions on page 11 of MPW manual entitled “Using WD My Cloud App on a Mobile Device” until the end of the chapter. Have the manual on your computer so you can follow the instructions and see the illustrations.

So, you said again you did this. WHEN did you do this LAST? If not yesterday or today, then you need to go through it again, and tell me what happened.

I got the drive yesterday, and did the setup following the manual the last time yesterday as well.

I dug a little into my iPhone using the application iBackupBot and found the following:

• i am also using version 44253 of the WD My Cloud app
  • the following log messages appeared in the iPhone system log while the app is looking for the MPW

Mar 3 22:18:06 My-iPhone WD My Cloud[460] : dnssdclientstub:sdRef: CallbackwithError morebytes zero sdr 0x15dd35840
Mar 3 22:18:06 My-iPhone networkd[91] : -[NETClient sendMessage:replyHandler:] attempting to send an XPC message to a suspended client WD My Cloud.460! This is a bug!
Mar 3 22:18:06 My-iPhone WD My Cloud[460] : <NSNetService 0x15dd9a720> local. _wd-2go._tcp. sd
Mar 3 22:18:27 My-iPhone WD My Cloud[460] : NewRelic(4.186,0x15de61a90): NRMAHarvesterConnection.m:101 -[NRMAHarvesterConnection send:]

This is the original log, i just replaced the name of my iPhone with My-iPhone.
In the line

Mar 3 22:18:06 My-iPhone WD My Cloud[460] : local. wd-2go.tcp. sd

“sd” is the SSID and the name of the MPW

I have no idea what the suspended client line in the log should tell me, but it feels weired that the iOS log literally says “This is a bug!”

Just in case one of the WD staff with iOS experience is reading this thread, i wanted to post the complete log before going to bed. I just removed the date and my iPhone’s name to make the lines a bit shorter. The messages are just the ones related to the WD My Cloud app and linked tasks.

22:10:43 installd[46] : 0x16e087000 -[MIInstallableBundle _refreshUUIDForContainer:withError:]: Data container for com.wdc.wdfiles is now at /private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/AAAAAAAA-AAAA-AAAA-AAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAA
22:10:43 installd[46] : 0x16e087000 -[MIContainer makeContainerLiveReplacingContainer:reason:withError:]: Made container live for group.wdc.wdcoredata at /private/var/mobile/Containers/Shared/AppGroup/BBBBBBBB-BBBB-BBBB-BBBB-BBBBBBBBBBBB
22:10:43 installd[46] : 0x16e087000 -[MIContainer makeContainerLiveReplacingContainer:reason:withError:]: Made container live for com.wdc.wdfiles at /private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/CCCCCCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCCCCCCCCCC
22:11:43 kernel[0] : xpcproxy[460] Container: /private/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/AAAAAAAA-AAAA-AAAA-AAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAA (sandbox)
22:11:44 WD My Cloud[460] : Migration failure: “WDCore.sqlite-wal” couldn’t be moved to “BBBBBBBB-BBBB-BBBB-BBBB-BBBBBBBBBBBB” because either the former doesn’t exist, or the folder containing the latter doesn’t exist.
22:11:44 WD My Cloud[460] : CoreData: Failed to load optimized model at path ‘/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/CCCCCCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCCCCCCCCCC/WD My Cloud.app/WDCore.momd/WDCore 16.omo’
22:11:48 WD My Cloud[460] : CoreAnimation: failed to allocate IOSurface
22:11:48 WD My Cloud[460] : CoreAnimation: failed to allocate IOSurface
22:11:50 kernel[0] : 012559.994099 wlan0.A[4771] updateLinkQualityMetrics@1991:Report LQM to User Land 100, fAverageRSSI -68
22:11:57 WD My Cloud[460] : <NSNetService 0x15f0668d0> local. _wd-2go._tcp. sd
22:12:02 WD My Cloud[460] : <NSNetService 0x15f5218b0> local. _wd-2go._tcp. sd
22:12:05 WD My Cloud[460] : NewRelic(4.186,0x15f612300): NRMAHarvesterConnection.m:101 -[NRMAHarvesterConnection send:] Failed to retrieve collector response: The request timed out.
22:12:19 syncdefaultsd[459] : (Note ) marked “com.me.keyvalueservice” topic as “enabled” on <APSConnection: 0x136d14a90>
22:12:29 WD My Cloud[460] : <NSNetService 0x15f583f90> local. _wd-2go._tcp. sd
22:13:05 WD My Cloud[460] : NewRelic(4.186,0x15f4af6a0): NRMAHarvesterConnection.m:101 -[NRMAHarvesterConnection send:] Failed to retrieve collector response: The request timed out.
22:14:05 WD My Cloud[460] : NewRelic(4.186,0x15f612300): NRMAHarvesterConnection.m:101 -[NRMAHarvesterConnection send:] Failed to retrieve collector response: The request timed out.
22:15:05 WD My Cloud[460] : NewRelic(4.186,0x15f4e7830): NRMAHarvesterConnection.m:101 -[NRMAHarvesterConnection send:] Failed to retrieve collector response: The request timed out.
22:15:20 WD My Cloud[460] : ** -[UIApplication _handleNonLaunchSpecificActions:forScene:withTransitionContext:completion:] ** unhandled action → <FBSSceneSnapshotAction: 0x15dda1720> {
handler = remote;
info = <BSSettings: 0x15f5602f0> {
(1) = 5;
};
}
22:15:41 WD My Cloud[460] : NewRelic(4.186,0x15f50d6b0): NRMAHarvesterConnection.m:101 -[NRMAHarvesterConnection send:]
22:18:05 backboardd[56] : CoreAnimation: insecure context ee583884 - pid 460 [/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/CCCCCCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCCCCCCCCCC/WD My Cloud.app/WD My Cloud]. Cannot host ee583884 in context 61978aa0 - pid 54 [/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard].
22:18:05 backboardd[56] : CoreAnimation: insecure context 6f937f3f - pid 460 [/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/CCCCCCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCCCCCCCCCC/WD My Cloud.app/WD My Cloud]. Cannot host 6f937f3f in context 61978aa0 - pid 54 [/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard].
22:18:05 backboardd[56] : CoreAnimation: insecure context e044ee1 - pid 460 [/private/var/mobile/Containers/Bundle/Application/CCCCCCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCC-CCCCCCCCCCCC/WD My Cloud.app/WD My Cloud]. Cannot host e044ee1 in context 61978aa0 - pid 54 [/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard].
22:18:06 WD My Cloud[460] : dnssdclientstub:sdRef: CallbackwithError morebytes zero sdr 0x15dd35840
22:18:06 networkd[91] : -[NETClient sendMessage:replyHandler:] attempting to send an XPC message to a suspended client WD My Cloud.460! This is a bug!
22:18:06 WD My Cloud[460] : <NSNetService 0x15dd9a720> local. _wd-2go._tcp. sd
22:18:27 WD My Cloud[460] : NewRelic(4.186,0x15de61a90): NRMAHarvesterConnection.m:101 -[NRMAHarvesterConnection send:] Failed to retrieve collector response: The request timed out.

Since i don’t know if the IDs are sensitive information i replaced them with A’s, B’s or C’s, making sure that you can still differentiate them.

Well, most of that log is Greeks to me. (Maybe the word should be Geek, not Greek

Anyway, your comment: “This is a bug!” prompts me to say there is no bug preventing you to connect your iPhone and MPW together, either in the MC app, the MPW, or the iPhone. Otherwise, I could not be connected to mine, and thousands of others could not be connected either. If the rest of the world can connect, but you ,then your problem is “unique”. Call WD and get to the bottom of this.

That is a true statement. The only problem is that my problem is not unique. As i tried to tell you before a few times, it did not connect on a friends iPhone either.

I tried to connect on another friends iPhone since yesterday and it also did not connect.
To summarize, i tried it on three peoples phones. None of them had ever installed the WD My Cloud app before. On the one Android phone i tried, it connected. On the two iPhones (+1 if you count mine) it did not connect.
That’s why it’s not a unique problem and i really start to believe that it’s a general issue with the app.

I had two WD support support calls already, talking to them for more than an hour and they were not able to resolve the issue either. I think i will call them again if i can find the time, just to tell them about not being able to connect on multiple phones and since it seems that they are not responding here.

I am going to say this again, very loudly this time, and hope you finally get it:

THE REASON NOBODY’S iPhone CAN CONNECT TO YOUR MPW IS BECAUSE YOUR MPW IS NOT SETUP TO CORRECTLY ACCEPT A iOS My Cloud app.
(I doubt it has anything to do with the iPhones, or firmware, or app version number or the number of stars in the sky or anything else – including a bug.)

Does this make any sense to you?

Sure, but:

1. I followed the insctructions in the manual
  2. Can you tell me why it works on Android phones if i did the setup incorrectly?
  3. The WD support people were also not able to make it work. I think they would know the correct setup, right?

how often do i have to state the same things until you get it or answer them, if you can?

Look, I like WD, but when I asked a long time ago for help with my new WDTV, I eventually heard from some high up product manager who tried to help. He had me do some stuff that really didn’t work. It took me a year of reading this forum for help with the issue until I figured it out for myself and discovered it was not an issue with the product – it was a Windows issue, and just the weird way it worked with music files. Anyway, (any) product Support people can be quite helpful, even higher-ups, but they are not perfect. This was a tough problem, and it took me alone to figure it out. BTW, the problem has never returned since then.

Look, I have been really spending a lot of time to help you; lots more than average time spent helping folks, and you have not answered my important questions, like when you went through the manual, did it completely work for you, and were you able to secure the MPW with a password LATELY? I want to know if doing the steps starting on page 11 until the end of chapter went perfectly for you. Can you answer those first?

The reason it likely worked on an Android phone is because the person with the Android phone did the set up for his phone. Not the same as for your iPhone.

I thought i answered the questions already, but let me try again.

I bought the drive on Wednesday and went through the manual at that day. Also yesterday.

everything in the manual works, except the connection using the WD My Cloud app

Yes, i did it again one minute ago, just for you and was able the secure the MPW.

No, i can’t do step 6 anymore because the MPW does not show up under “Found in Network”
Just to make sure i am absolutely clear, the pictures in step 3 and 4 do NOT show the current version of the app, so what i do is:
step 3: accept the license agreement in the app
step 4: tap on connect local device(like shown in the screenshots that i made and shared in this thread)

Good, something to go on:
Questions
Are you saying the MPW is not showing up in the iPhone’s Wi-Fi settings as a wireless device you can connect phone to? If so, that is a problem that needs to be solved.

Does your MPW still have its default wireless signal name of “MyPassport” or did you change it to something different?

Either way, do you see either name (default or new name) showing as a wireless signal you can connect the phone to?

Right now we are not concerned about the app, you first need the wireless connection between the MPW and the Phone. Just be a few feet or meters apart (not any more) to make this connection happen. Let me know about this…

BTW, It is late night here on the US west coast, so in a half hour or so, I will be in bed. If you get this and answer right away, I will check PC for any reply, ,I will not be back here until morning with my cup of coffee. Later.

As stated before, i have to stop at step 6, so i see and can connect to the wifi the MPW creates.

As stated before, the SSID of the MPW is “sd”, so i changed it(But i also tried it with the default name a few times)

As stated before, i have to stop at step 6, so i see and can connect to the wifi the MPW creates.

I can also access the web interface from the phone’s brower by browsing to http://sd.local/ or its IP address. This means that the wifi signal is at least strong enough to transmit data.

Hi, I just finished doing something for YOU. I reset my MPW back to factory defaults and then went through the setup from the beginning using the iPhone so I could see exactly what you saw. I was successful in getting all signed up and using app once again. I see what you mean about the current setup screens are different from the ones shown in the manual. The MPW user manual has needed an update since it first was released. Oh well.

Anyway. I want to tell you the steps I went through before I forget the details so you can replicate what I did. If you can follow my steps exactly, you should be up and running again, too. If not, there is a big problem at your end. Setting up should be a piece of cake for you; it was for me OK, here goes (and I suggest you print out this post so it is in front of you to follow.)

First things to do:: Completely shut down (close) the My Cloud app on your iPhone, then turn ON the MPW; once it is run up and working a few minutes and while MPW is ON, reset it to factory defaults (yes, AGAIN). Hold both buttons in until blinking LED, then release the buttons. (It takes about 10 seconds before blinking LED begins, and another few moments before it stops and is reset completely.)

After MPW finished the factory reset, I immediately connected iPhone to the Wi-Fi signal MyPassport as soon as it showed up as an available network. Have a foot or two between MPW and iPhone, and be away from other computer equipment. You want good signal and no interference between the two devices.This prevents seeing this screen:

https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/wd/uploads/default/optimized/3X/8/d/8d4cb98734826cbc5c38b0d3b34cdbc792c7129b_1_291x500.png

Only Then did I open the MC app to start it.

( was confronted with a message that my connection had been revoked (because the previous password was gone, but no problem).

Then, I was asked to select the device MyPassport Wireless to add it to app devices. I did, and because I wanted to keep the setup as simple as possible for this,
when I got to the next step “Secure your device” (to change the name of the MPW from the default Wi-Fi name of MyPassport and enter a password to secure it,) I tapped on Skip at top-right corner of Phone screen.

I then saw a screen that said "You are now connected to MyPassport: and I selected “Continue using My Cloud app”

The next screen asked me if I wanted to use auto-backup, and I selected “Not now”.

At this point I was fully connected with the phone and MPW, and I was at the Public folder of the MPW. I played a music track there, and I was done!

Two things: You can later go into the Dashboard Wi-Fi settings and change the name of the Wi-Fi signal and enter a password. Don’t do this right away, just use MPW as it is for a day or so and get used to it again.

Any questions, let me know.

Thank you for doing a reset on your device for this.
I followed your steps but unfortunately, as always, it showed me the screen you posted… again.
(I had to tap on “add device manually” because my My Cloud app does not remember a connection, so it doesn’t tell me that a connection has been revoked)

By the way, I was contacted via email by WD today and sent them my full iPhone log because they want to investigate it. I’m hoping that they can find something that helps :wink:

OK Dan, you’re welcome. I even reset my MPW four or five times just so I could go through the steps again to be sure I had them all written down and in the correct order for you. BTW, I did not get the “revoked” message every time, but if I did, I went into manage devices, selected to add the My Passport Wireless and it was accepted and I then continued with the setup. Every time I got the two devices setup together and ended up at the Public folder in the MPW.

So, because you cannot complete the steps, you are stuck, and I can be of no further help here. I strongly suggest you call WD support again and BE SURE you talk to a person in the Level 2 area. I am pretty sure you only spoke with a Level 1 person before; especially since they asked you to reset your router! A router has nothing to do with this. You could be in the middle of a desert with only your phone and MPW and get them connected together if all was well. A home router does come into play if you are wanting to connect the MPW to your home Wi-Fi. So, that support person’s remark told me they were “clueless”.

There were a lot of words in my little guide, so it might be useful to try again at another time soon; just to make yourself feel confident you didn’t miss anything.
Good luck, and keep me posted on the final outcome.
–Mike

I tried to connect via the My Cloud app on another friends Android phone(Google Nexus 5, most recent Android OS) and it also didn’t connect. So it doesn’t seem to be unique to iOS 9.2.1, the newest Android version is also unable to connect. Really weired!

That’s not good; especially since you connected to one previously.

If this was my brand new MPW, I would take it back to the store I bought it from (or contact online seller) and let them know what all I had tried, and it still doesn’t work, and tell them I want to exchange it for another new one.

I bought a SanDisk wireless pocket-size flash drive a while ago from Amazon. It had trouble working and connecting and all, so I called Amazon and did just this. They sent me another one, and it worked better, so I returned the first one for credit. Easy. This is my best suggestion for you now. Since you have had the MPW a few weeks, better get right on this if you decide to do it.

Directly after trying with that friends Android phone, i tried with the other friend’s phone where it worked before and it worked, again. I don’t want to return it because afaik there’s no reasonably priced alternative. I’m still waiting for WD’s feedback because they have my logs, still hoping there’ll be a solution.

Also, the geek in me wants this problem resolved! i already spent so many hours in the SSH dump of the file system, i could start developing for WD directly :wink: