My Cloud and USB HUB (powered)

Hello all.
Hope you can help with this… I spoke with a WD rep on tech support and among other things, eh mentioned that if I used a powered USB hub connected to the back USB port of the mycloud unit, I could connect up to 7 usb drives to the unit. I have done so, have 4 units connected to the hub, but the recognition of the drives is intermittent. picks up 3 or 2 and then 2… never the 4 drives.

Could it be the hub I am using is not the proper one? Any one has had experience with this issue?

Thanks,

J.

If one reads the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) in Chapter 12 Connecting a USB Hard Drive, they’d find that it states the following; “You can attach a powered USB hub to the external USB port and attach up to seven USB devices to the hub.”

If one does a search they’d find this issue of multiple hard drives on a USB hub with some not being recognized has been mentioned and discussed before. Here is one such thread:

https://community.wd.com/t/cant-reliably-connect-more-than-3-external-usb-drives-to-my-cloud-at-the-same-time/158195

I mention in that thread of connecting four hard drives and three flash drives to a seven port USB 2.0 hub and the My Cloud recognizing and mounting five out of seven.

Some further info. Just to show that it is possible to have seven USB devices connected to the My Cloud. In my case a v04.04.03-113 single bay My Cloud.

My problem is the seventh (or one of the seven devices) would continually drop off or mount as 0K only to remount or be reloaded a few minutes later. I suspect the 7 port Belkin USB 2.0 hub that I’m using just cannot put out enough power to all seven devices so one ends up under powered causing the interment loading/mounting. I was able to capture the following to show that all seven mounted including the one interment device a Western Digital External HDD shown below.

Prolific Technology Inc. USB-SATA Bridge
180 GB Free of 500 GB
Toshiba External USB 3.0
310 GB Free of 1 TB
05e3 USB TO IDE
60 GB Free of 60 GB
Western Digital External HDD
110 GB Free of 320 GB
SanDisk Cruzer
32 GB Free of 32 GB
JMicron USB to ATA ATAPI Bridge
23 GB Free of 60 GB
SanDisk Ultra
29 GB Free of 32 GB

Click on the first image to see all seven USB devices listed under the Dashboard USB indicator icon.

The second image shows the Shares as they appear on the Dashboard Shares page. While it appears to list six, the seventh is barely seen at the bottom below the WD500GB Share entry.