My Cloud 6TB and Asus 68U Router

Till yesterday I was using my cloud with Tplink wireless router which did not have 1 Gbps ethernet port and supported 2.4 GHz on wireless. I had issues transferring files over wireless and it would time out due to poor speeds. Using a wired LAN connection to router was not an issue in transferring large files.

Yesterday I changed to a new Asus 68U modem which has 1 Gbps ports on which My Cloud is connected and supports 5 GHz as well on wireless side. Now I tried to transfer large quantum of files from Laptop which was connected on 5 GHz link to router. I used Teracore to transfer files as the drive was mapped. Initially the speed was impressive but later half way through it just stalled. The wifi was fine as I could browse internet but the files transfer would not progress.

I was disappointed as I thought 1 Gbps and 5 GHz would be a suitable connectivity. Any ideas why this would have happened. I am not sure if it is router issue which crashed due to heavy files transfer or My Cloud drive stalled. All devices have latest firmwares. And yes the PC is All in One with Windows 10, 8GB RAM.

Thanks for any input.

I have 2 3TB MyClouds (Ver. 1) and use a Asus RT-AC68P Router using the latest Firmware on the router (Asus firmware … not Merlin).

I do not have any issues transferring files either from a wireless or wired device. On my main computer I use TeraCopy for transfers … not sure what what Teracore is.

1. First off: Do you have all the devices using a reserved IP Address?
  2. Are you only accepting MAC addresses on Wireless connection?

I have found 5GHz to be sometimes finicky on this router, but 2.4GHz is rock solid. I would suggest making sure, while transferring large amounts of data, that the MyCloud and Computer be wired … either into a switch or router.

As far as wireless connectivity goes, there are so many variables that come into play.

1. Distance from router.
  2. Wireless traffic.
  3. How is your wireless setup within the router and devices.
  4. Walls, Lights and anything else that can cause interference.
  5. Is the MyCloud mapped to the computer?

I have never ran into loss of connectivity with this router and have Phones, IPads, and Computers connected wireless and 3 Computers connected hard-wired.

I use Windows 7 on all my computers and I do know Windows 10 has/had some issues, so I really can not help you there.

Thank Sector for the detailed reply.

I too am using ASUS firmware.
My Bad - It is teracopy
MyCloud has a reserved address but others use DHCP.
Maybe 5 GHZ being finicky is right. I will switch to 2.4 GHz and try the copy again.

Thanks

Personally I give all devices their own reserved IP … This way no matter what happens they all use a defined IP, this is important for scripting or any automated service that you might have or run.

I successfully use the 5GHz wireless by using the MAC address of the device (Make sure you get the correct MAC address from the device) and see if it will accept the 5GHz or the 2.4GHz … mine is setup for different encrypted passwords for each bandwidth and some devices have 3 MAC addresses … Wired - 2.4GHz - and 5GHz. Getting the correct combo is critical.