My Cloud 3TB - need help restoring system

Karny wrote:

Hello,

I own My Cloud 3TB (WDBCTL0030HWT-EESN). System was working fine until I believe yesterday.

I had deluged daemon running on the unit, and no other custom software was installed. Yesterday I found Deluge missing, as well as one sh script i wrote that was placed in /root/.

I saw that firmware was auto-updated about a month ago.

I didn’t figure out what happened (any thoughts?), but now to my problem.

I tried installing qbittorrent-nox (deluge had nasty habit of getting killed after awhile so I wanted to try something else). After trying to start qbittorrent-nox, all I was getting was word “Killed” on the terminal.

Next I tried to update software, did apt-get update, and then apt-get upgrade. This is when things started to go wrong.

Basically, upgrade of packages failed at some point and now I have non-working packet management.

I tried factory restore “System Only” option, hoping it would restore system to original state, but all it did was deleting my custom settings (usernames, shares…), leaving system files as they were.

So my question is, as my My Cloud is still bootable, and I still have shell access, is there an easy way of restoring actual system files to a state where nothing is messed up? Doing so without losing my data would be a big plus, but if that is not possible I will do a backup prior to any recovery attempt.

Thank you!

Hello,

Please read the “important” note in our release thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-4-00-00-607-7-9-14/td-p/761150

There are also steps there to re-run the update which should get you back into a working state.