My Books back-up software. Can I get rid of it? I re-formatted it and now there are driver errors

Hi.

I have a Western Digital My Book Essential 1.5Tb HDD: Model Number: WDBAAF0015HBK-NESN.

How can I get rid of the SmartWare (I think that is what it is) software? I re-formatted the My book external drive and for some reason the back-up software is still there. It cannot be recognized since there is nnothing there, and a driver error keeps comming up.

Do I have to do a firmware update or something? These are what seem to be comming up when I search the knowledge base.

Since I understand what is happening in the knowledge base: I was wondering if anyone has done what is recommended? Is there anything I need to look out for besides the power continuing to be on? Would the drive be unuesable or is there a chance to fix it if there is a failure? I would try to bring it back to the store I bought it from for a replacement. The store said they send failed drives to the suppliers for a re-furbished one, but I don’t know if what I am concidering doing will qualify.

I re-format the external drives I get and manually replace file. I clear the drives due to certain software not recognizing project files (for music production, photo editing, video editing, graphics stuff, etc).

Thank you.

I think you’ll have to uninstall the Smartware backup software from your PC. You are stuck with the crappy virtual CD there is no way to get rid of it, only hide it. I think you’ll have to run the firm ware but not install the Smartware junk.

Joe