My Book World Edition (white light)

I have a laptop that I’ve been backing up onto my exterrnal hard drive, a My Book World Edition (whte light).  I recently got a new laptop with Windows 8.  Is there a version of the software available that will run on Windows 8 so that I can install it on my new laptop and restore my data from the old laptop to the new one?  Thank you.

Hi,

What’s the name of the backup software that you used to backup the files?

WD Anywhere is the software that I used on my Windows 7 laptop.  The drive isn’t that old.  I want to use it for my new Windows 8 laptop.  Thanks for the help.

Can anyone tell me if I can run WD Anywhere on Windows 8?  And if not, what are my options besides buying a new drive.

So Help4All asked what software I was using.  I responded and later asked if anyone could tell me what software works with my drive and Windows 8.  Still no replies.  Does anyone have an answer for me?

Hi,

Here’s one search result from Microsoft. The bottom line seems to be that the program itself will run, but the launcher does not. After installing the program go into c:\Program Files (x86)\WD\WD Anywhere Backup and find the application file MemeoBackup. Create a shortcut on the desktop to the application then run it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Memeo%20WD%20Anywhere%20Backup&vendor=Memeo&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows+8

1 Like

This is great information!  Thank you!

Two additional questions -

1.  How do i remove WD Launcher from automatically starting when I boot up my laptop?

2.  I can’t find WD Discovery software to download so that I can map my White Light drive.  Can anyone provide the link to download the software?

1.  How do i remove WD Launcher from automatically starting when I boot up my laptop?

2.  I can’t find WD Discovery software to download so that I can map my White Light drive.  Can anyone provide the link to download the software?

For number 1, you need to track down how the program is being started. One way to do this is to run msconfig.

Open System Configuration by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking System Configuration.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

When System Configuration appears, go to the “Startup” tab. Click on the heading of the first column “Startup Item” to sort the entries alphabetically and look for the WD Launcher. While you can disable it here, it would be better to see where it is being started from-“Startup” folder in the Start menu, “Run” key in the Registry, etc. These days, it is very likely to be the latter. You will need to go into the Registry Editor (regedit).

To start the Registry Editor in Window 8, follow the instructions here-

http://www.combofix.org/how-to-open-the-registry-editor-in-windows-8.php

The HKLM which the location starts with is “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”. Follow the path you found in System Configuration, expanding each of the steps until you reach the “Run” key. Find the line with the WD app, click to highlight it, and press Delete. A confirmation dialog will come up (“are you sure?” box). Click Yes or OK. Close regedit.

Just work carefully while in the Registry if that’s where you need to go.

For number 2, you should not really need the Discover software. I am copying this from a Microsoft page to avoid confusion between Win 7 and 8-

When you create a shortcut to a shared folder or PC on a network (also called mapping a network drive), you can get to it from Computer or File Explorer without having to look for it or enter its network address each time.
To create a shortcut to a network drive

Open Computer by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Computer in the search box, tapping or clicking Apps, and then tapping or clicking Computer.

In the Menu bar, tap or click Computer, and then tap or click Map network drive.

In the Drive list, tap or click a drive letter.

You can choose any available letter.

In the Folder box, enter the path of the folder or computer, or tap or click Browse to find the folder or computer.

To connect every time you sign in to your computer, select the Reconnect at sign-in check box.

Tap or click Finish.