My Book World Edition - Frozen. Data recovery without voiding warrenty

The My Book World edition drive (1TB, white light) i have been using for the past 2 years has suddenly frozen and doesnt seem to boot correctly.

I cant seem to find any solutions in the forum, or from the email support, which ive had no reply from, to fixing the problem. So i order an advanced replacement.

What i am keen to do is to try and retrieve the data off the drive (over 300 films) it seems the only way to attempt this is to open the drive, which i believe voids the warranty. Has anyone successfully opened the drive and returned the drive to western digital still under warranty?

I recommend not to open it because it will void the warranty.

1 Like

You have to open/break it to get the drive out, this is WD depend on so you buy more of there rubbish equipment…

Once open and got it into a PC, you need some decent software to read a failed XFS partition, i used ‘Raise Data Recovery’ which scans the partition and does the job WD cant do… (cost £20 mind)

Recover data, and move on…

Basically, no matter what hardware you buy, it will always be the same…

So you need to make backups of the backups of the backups, and back that up just in case the backup of the backup fails! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Click the kudos star if u find my reply funny¬! :slight_smile:

[Deleted]

1 Like

StuartUK36 wrote:

You have to open/break it to get the drive out, this is WD depend on so you buy more of there rubbish equipment…

Not exactly my friend, he has the option to contact tech support and see if they can give him some advice on how to recover the information or even better, let him try to recover the information and then replace the hard drive. But you obviously have it all figured out so good for you. :wink: