My Book World Edition and OS X Lion (10.7) and Time Machine

Please release a firmware update ASAP… TIme Machine not working gives me the jitters.

Im a little nervous with no back up solution also!..  Please WD post a fix ASAP.

I have been unable to access my Itunes library, on the Mybook since I updated to OSX Lion. I am so angry I could bite.

GIVE AN ANSWER AT LEAST! THIS IS INCREDIBLE. NO RESPONSE TO USERS, IT’S INACCEPTABLE.

Sorry, I may seem stupid but… how do I login to the web interface?

If you know your NAS’ IP address, just type it in into your browser. I can’t remember what was the default login, maybe admin/admin.

@ mariancrespo , if your music was stored in the NAS try this  http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/os-x-lion-connection-error-with-afp-and-workaround/

and if you try to access to your library as a ‘shared library’, you can try this  http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/iTunes-Shared-MyBookWorld/td-p/127104

The issue here is that Apple is using a new version of NetATalk.  This new version incorporates some changes for authentication that the version of NetATalk on the NAS (and this is true almost the world over for NAS vendors) do not support.  So he solution here is we either have to wait for WD to build a firmware update that incorporates the newest version of NetATalk and all of the authentication libraries or we can wait for some enterprising individual to build a working solution that can be pushed to the device via SSH access.

This is pretty much our only solutions.  I can tell you that I will no longer use this device for my time machine backups.  I’ll be buying a new 2 TB USB drive and adding it to my Airport Extreme.  Apple supported solution.  This WD is going the cheap route and it always has a history of bitting people in the butt eventually.

1 Like

This is pretty much our only solutions.  I can tell you that I will no longer use this device for my time machine backups.
I’ll be buying a new 2 TB USB drive and adding it to my Airport Extreme.  Apple supported solution.  This WD is going the cheap route and it always has a history of bitting people in the butt eventually.

+1

WDs behaviour  is a slap in the face of every Mac user. I can´t understand, why they didn´t figure out ths problems in lions beta phase. It look like they see the Mac users as a marketing target group they easy could mug up with big “mac compatible” stickers…

The whole World Book series is a piece of [Deleted] - Overloaded with onboard-software nobody likes to use. Crappy online-services nobody asked for. You should do your homework and produce products without marketing features…!

EDIT:

I just got a mail from “tracer” with subject “be respectful”, due to my critic on WDs acting with the mac users. I would like to return the “be respectful” to WD. You guys had enough time to develop a solution. I googled the problems i got and found out that a big amount of users a very very unpleased. LAST WAKE UP CALL!

Guys, we did put out an official response.  It’s found in one of our knowledge base articles below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7081

We are working on a firmware update to fix this, right now.  You know I can’t give any timeline on when it will be out, but we are working on getting it to you, as soon as possible.

We are working on a firmware update to fix this, right now.  You know I can’t give any timeline on when it will be out, but we are working on getting it to you, as soon as possible.

Why didn´t you already work while the beta phase of lion? It seems like you got surprised by the release of the new OS.

nilsnils, I edited your post because of obscenity, as evidenced by the only word in your post that was deleted. Nothing else related to your personal perception of Western Digital was touched. Please review the User Guidelines (In the PM), in order to avoid any further issues in the WD Community.

Regards,

nilsnils wrote:

Why didn´t you already work while the beta phase of lion? It seems like you got surprised by the release of the new OS.

The simple easy answer is that we can’t release anything until we do full regression testing on the released version of the new os.  That’s always the case, and we’re not the only one’s that have this issue.  There are other companies with NAS devices going through this as well.  But we do have the fix, and it will be released as soon as possible. 

1 Like

I have the same problem too. I`m waiting for the solution. Please WD, make it sooner !!!

Thanks,

mfda.

bill_s wrote:

The simple easy answer is that we can’t release anything until we do full regression testing on the released version of the new os.  That’s always the case, and we’re not the only one’s that have this issue.  There are other companies with NAS devices going through this as well.  But we do have the fix, and it will be released as soon as possible. 

That’s very good news. As you probably know, not having access to one’s backups is a very bad thing. Please hurry.

If you upgraded your OS without making sure your backup solution supports it who can you blame? That’s right, yourself and nobody else. I work with my MBP and first thing I did when Lion was released was that I checked every application and peripheral I use works with Lion.  And decided to stick with SL for now.

Home work folks, it’s all about home work.

I guess you can always downgrade back to SL?

2 Likes

I think that given thae fact that one of the contributors here said WD knew about this for some time we are entitled to be more than frustrated. Lion has been in Beta testing for months now and it is the responsibility of big companies like WD to keep up with software and OS deveopment.

A large nmber of people use these network drives for backup and are therefore very heavily compromised whilst this is being sorted out.

I am really annoyed and will think very carefully about buying any more WD products in the future.

Do you know how difficult it is to find this “official Response” ?

Type Lion into the search function and see what results you get.

It took me ages to find out the problem from support and even then it was just the sorry it just isn’t compatible with no indication of even whether you were trying to fix it.

I add my frustration to other comments here - this OS has been in Beta for months giving you plenty of time to solve this.

jjari wrote:

If you upgraded your OS without making sure your backup solution supports it who can you blame? That’s right, yourself and nobody else. I work with my MBP and first thing I did when Lion was released was that I checked every application and peripheral I use works with Lion.  And decided to stick with SL for now.

Home work folks, it’s all about home work.

I guess you can always downgrade back to SL?

Well said, Kudos for this. Windows 7 came out in October 2009 and I updated (From XP) in April 2010 after making sure that all updates, patches and drivers on my devices were ready to support W7 and I saved myself from going through an incompatibility headache.

I plan on doing the same once more and wait until everything is updated before I jump from Snow Leopard to Lion, and I honestly can’t understand this “I must update to Lion on the very first day/month of release while blindly expecting for everything to work in a perfectly perfect fashion or I’m going to die” fever… Anyone ever heard of patience?

platinumtone wrote:

I think that given thae fact that one of the contributors here said WD knew about this for some time we are entitled to be more than frustrated. Lion has been in Beta testing for months now and it is the responsibility of big companies like WD to keep up with software and OS deveopment.

A large nmber of people use these network drives for backup and are therefore very heavily compromised whilst this is being sorted out.

I am really annoyed and will think very carefully about buying any more WD products in the future.

A beta is a beta, a final build is a final build. Anything made to work with the beta could be obsolete in the final build unless each single change made from the beta to the final build was provided as well along the way, which is something Apple would not do due to their secrecy.

Several companies (Not only WD) are having the same problems because APPLE decided to change standard protocols that have been successfully used for years. That it was noted in the beta? Sure. That it was expected for Apple to add the missing protocols on the beta to the final build? True as well, yet, they didn’t, and EVERYONE (Mac users, developers and manufacturers) is taking the hit because of Apple’s decision.

You should check out some known facts on this posts that makes a clear distinction into the problems caused by Apple’s removal of known Linux protocols and updates to other protocols used by Apple-only devices, which killed compatibility with non-Apple devices. WD TV Live , Roku and several media players are not working with Lion, yet Apple TV got a performance boost. Most NAS drives are not working with Lion’s Time Machine, yet Apple’s Time Capsule gets new features only possible in Lion that no other NAS will be able to do because of the change in protocols unless manufacturers fully design new NAS drives with the new Apple protocols, which could affect performance on other (and more used) operating systems like Windows 7 and even Linux.

You are blaming the wrong culprit for your problems.

1 Like

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

I plan on doing the same once more and wait until everything is updated before I jump from Snow Leopard to Lion, and I honestly can’t understand this “I must update to Lion on the very first day/month of release while blindly expecting for everything to work in a perfectly perfect fashion or I’m going to die” fever… Anyone ever heard of patience?

A beta is a beta, a final build is a final build. Anything made to work with the beta could be obsolete in the final build unless each single change made from the beta to the final build was provided as well along the way, which is something Apple would not do due to their secrecy.

You are blaming the wrong culprit for your problems.

You are right thinking of people just doing normal business and do hurrying. Here we have several home workers using this device according to us. And we all waited for the new Macs (mini and Air) to be released and to do our business. We reported this bug more than a month ago hearing it will be solved shortly after the release. As long as I can see this is currently ok to me, but not to long.

That we want to update the other machines is just convenience, especially at this low price :slight_smile:

On the other hand it is true that there was a golden master declared with not further feature changes. And this golden master became Lion.

I have a big hope on WD!

It seems to be WD tradition of lack of sense of Timing.  This blog has no date and time to each post.

Now, it’s 10.30 AM in Sydney.  Just checked the MBWE from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit in VMware Fusion 3.1.3, no new Firmware yet.  Current version of NAS Firmware is 01.02.06 with MioNet 4.3.1.13, last upgrade on 01 May 2011.

I have known WD NAS had lost compatibility before upgrading to Lion.  I changed to a USB backup and did a full backup from Time Machine a few days before the Lion upgrade.  What surprised me, is that it takes so long to fix the compatibility issue.

All my files are accessible from Windows 7.  It’s not permitted from Apple license, but Snow Leopard can be installed as a guest client in VWware Fusion 3.1.3.  From there, WD NAS can be accessed.  What about other virtual machines?  VirtualBox is free.  Since Windows7 running in Fusion 3 can access NAS, I believe Snow Leopard in VirtualBox can do the same.  Besides, Snow Leopard is running on a computer with Apple logo on it, I think legally it’s comfortable to me.  Anyone wanna try it?  Let everyone know please.