My book wont install on my mac

I purchased a 3TB My Book for Mac today, came home plugged it into my 2009 (OS 10.9.5 Mavericks) desktop and nothing happened.  After hours of fiddling and googling, I called tech support, they had me download a driver from the WD website and it still didn’t work. They told me to return it for another.  It was not showing up in disk utility or desktop icon.  I plugged into my mac book pro, same thing.

So, back to the store I went.  Exchanged, returned…same thing!

Why won’t my computers recognize the My book!!!

Welcome to the Community.

Are these drives USB 3.0? If so, I’d recommend trying a micro USB 2.0 cable. The connector for USB 3.0 may look proprietary, but it’s actually a s micro 2.0 with the USB 3.0 extension. As such, 2.0 cables fit in the “flat” portion:

The reason I recommend this is because several Mac computers from early 2013 and older have displayed specific compatibility issues with USB 3.0 devices resulting from Apple’s original refusal to adopt the standard.

Can this adaptor be purchased at a big box computer store?

Another trip to the store, but I’m willing to give it a try.

kateA wrote:

Can this adaptor be purchased at a big box computer store?

Another trip to the store, but I’m willing to give it a try.

It is not an adapter. The above picture is for the USB 3.0 connector that comes with the WD My Book. 

The following cable is the one I recommend trying, which is used by most Android phones and tablets:

usb2-micro-b.jpg

@ kateA when you go to the computer store … ask for a “micro USB cable” the one on the Left

micro.jpg

Don’t accidently purchase a mini USB