My Book Studio LX won't stay mounted on my Mac

I have had a WD My Book Studio LX 2TB external drive since April (a little over 3 months).  Now the drive is having problems.  I had it connected via Firewire 800 to my Mac G5, but today it would not mount.  I switched to a USB connection, and the drive mounts, but within a minute or two it unmounts spontaneously, and I get an error message on the Mac that the Device was not removed properly.  Then after a few seconds to a minute, the drive mounts again, but then repeats the process by unmounting.   The light indicator on the front of the drive is not steady. Obviously the drive is not usable like this.

Any suggestions?   I have tried moving the power adapter to various outlets, but I don’t have another suitable power adapter to try.  My Mac is a PowerMac G5 running MacOS 10.5.8.

Thanks

More on my story.

Today I connected the drive to a PC running Windows XP (via USB).  It seems to be working properly there, though it is hard to say for sure since the drive is not formatted for Windows.  However, the virtual SmartWare CD is readable, seemingly, and the drive light stays lit (does not blink as it does when connected to the Mac).

So, what does this mean?   A power supply issue?  Should I order a new power adapter from WD?

Please be aware that if you experience performance degradation immediately upon replacing one or more drives in a _ WD ShareSpace _, you may be encountering an incompatibility issue. Please Contact Usfor your RMA request. In this case, we DO NOT recommend using our online RMA creation web service.

Links:

In order to get warranty support, your product MUST be in warranty. Two replacement options are available for resellers and end users.

Advance Replacement
We ship the replacement product to you first before receiving your defective product. You have 30 days to send us your defective product. In order to use this service, a valid credit card is required. The credit card is used to insure that WD receives the returned product within 30 days from the date the replacement drive was shipped to you. Please see below for more details about the service:

• Available to End Users and Resellers (in the U.S.A., Canada, and European Union)
  • Maximum of 5 requests per day; 1 product per request
  • Valid email address and credit card are required
  • Credit card will be charged if the returned product is not received within 30 days from the date we shipped your replacement product
  • Current RMA turnaround time

Standard Replacement
We will ship you the replacement product after we have received your defective product. You may create an RMA for a maximum of 20 products per request. You have 30 days from the date the RMA is created to send us your defective product. Please see below for more details about this service:

Note: If you are outside of the US or Canada, please see the knowledge base article below for additional information that may apply to you

:smiley:

these things are junk I want to throw it against a wall. I have 2 other WD 1 TB drives that are bulletproof and love them I bought this and it seems to mount only when it wants to I use the same connections that  I just unhooked a 1tb WD drive and it still wont mount did the firmware update and nothing . this will be the last WD i ever buy it seems that everone has this same problem how hard is it to get a drive to mount!!!