My Book Studio II claims to need formatting with data on it

I have a Western Digital My Book Studio II - 2 TB Desktop External Hard Drive still under warranty. I hadit configured RAID 1, but after a power outage it cannot be browser (is not recongized) WD RAID Manager sees it as RAID 0 and my Win7 64-bit OS sees it as needing formatting. Windows Disk Manager sees the drive has having 2 ~1TB partitions, as I would expect from the RAID 1 setup. I have data I’d like to recover.

I know that is not something WD does. I am looking for advice on if I can disassemble the case to try and get data off one or both drives, or if there is a data recovery servivce or product that is recommended. I only have Windows boxes, so I am looking for a Windows solution.

It’s possible that your file system got corrupted when the power went out.  If the drive still shows up as a single volume, then you might try going online to find a partition recovery software that can restore the partition and the files.

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

It’s possible that your file system got corrupted when the power went out.  If the drive still shows up as a single volume, then you might try going online to find a partition recovery software that can restore the partition and the files.

Thank you, Bill. I tried a few things I found online and got nowhere, or didn’t feel comfortable paying for them. Right now, EaseUS seems to be making progress, so I am going to let it run over night. If that doesn’t work, I tihnk I am going to ship it to Data Recovery Services (DRS) for a data recovery fee of about $200. They were on WD’s list of vendors, or maybe one of the others WD’s has listed, following the link from the FAQ posting sticky to this Forum.

I hope it works for you.

We’ll see. After the $200 for diagnostics they are saying their report on the unit is:

Visual Media Inspection
There are no signs of physical damage.
Electrical Analysis
The PCB board has passed all preliminary tests. Pre amp chip is fully functional.
Internal Inspection
The media has suffered from a head crash.
Read/Write Head Test
The read and write test concluded that the head stack needs replacement.
Spindle Motor Test
Motor has passed all tests and is spinning at the intended specified RPM.
Firmware/Logical LBA Analysis
Logical test is inconclusive due to failed head stack.

Then, they can pull the data off for about $4,000. However, they keep calling it RAID 0, which I am sur eit looks like, now, but when it crashed it was RAID 1. I am starting to think it would be better to disassemble the cage and try to spin up one of the drives. If any one of them comes up alone, it could have an intact copy of all the data.

I have been poking arodun here and on the Web, can anyone point to My Book Sutdio II disassembly instructions (I’d rather not break the case and its screws and/or tabs seem to be hidden) and any advice on bringing up one of the lone drives?