My Book Studio Edition not mounting

I’ve got a My Book Studio Edition that I’ve had since late 2009. It was fine the last time I used it, in January 2011.

I plugged it in the other day and it is behaving rather strangely. The top half of the light is solid, while the bottom half flickers on and off. I looked at the page on WD’s website that explains the flashing lights http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1480/~/flashing-lights-on-an-older-wd-my-book-or-my-passport),,) which seems to be suggesting that the boot has been unsuccessful.

I’ve tried the drive with a number of leads (FW 400, 800) but nothing seems to happen. It won’t mount on the desktop or show up in Disk Utility. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance.  

Hi there, based on what I see on the article you shared then there the closest behavior is from the MyBook World, although in the opposite way of what you describe> Bottom LED dimmed, top LED flashing > Boot unsuccessful

It does not mention if it means the same for the Studio, but if it is… Then it may be a bad drive, what if you try TestDisk or Disk Warrior to see if the data can be saved?

If not, it can be the case of the Studio while the internal drive is fine, you’ll never know until you test it.

Good luck!